And we're back!

Main Menu

Red Bull space jump

Started by merithyn, October 09, 2012, 02:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: Zanza on October 14, 2012, 01:11:29 PM
Did he break the speed of sound?

He came close but I'm not sure he got there based on the Youtube feed.

sbr

Quote from: Syt on October 14, 2012, 01:13:24 PM
Well, seems he didn't break the record for longest free fall at least.

Nope seems like he pulled the chute awfully early, he is still over 6000' feet up.

Zanza

TV said he broke it. But I didn't see it on the Youtube feed either.

mongers

Well that was pretty god damn impressive.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

sbr

Quote from: mongers on October 14, 2012, 01:24:21 PM
Well that was pretty god damn impressive.  :cool:

Yeah it was, in all of the discussion of which absurd records he may or may not have broken.  I really thought he was in trouble there shortly after he jumped when he seemed to be in an uncontrollable spin, but he recovered.

Neil

Yeah, that was the most dangerous part, at the beginning when he had no control due to no air pressure.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

sbr

merithyn

I still call it insanity, but go him. He survived. Not only that, but apparently, he suffered from crippling claustrophobia in the suit and overcame it to manage the stunt.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

Quote from: merithyn on October 14, 2012, 01:54:34 PM
I still call it insanity

But it's not all vanity:

http://www.redbullstratos.com/science/scientific-values/

QuoteLike any transportation system, high-altitude flights need safety procedures; but currently, researchers don't know if it's possible to bail out from ultra-high altitudes. What would happen to a human falling to Earth faster than the speed of sound? Would a spacesuit provide sufficient protection? Would GPS equipment function? Could a drogue parachute provide adequate stabilization?

Worldwide, the answers to such questions are vital. Aviators and astronauts look to extend the boundaries of their exploration and - with the opening of facilities like SpacePort America - the day when everyday people can become space tourists is on the horizon. The mission's findings may point the way toward developing escape systems for the space tourists of the future, as well as for the pilots and astronauts who already need suborbital systems today.

SCIENTIFIC CONTRIBUTION FOCUS
Red Bull Stratos aims to provide information that will further the progression of aerospace safety. The key benefits for the science community are as follows:

- To aid development of a new generation of space suits - including enhanced mobility and visual clarity - and other systems to lead toward passenger/crew exit from space.

- To aid development of protocols for exposure to high altitude/high acceleration.

- To aid exploration of the effects on the human body of supersonic acceleration and deceleration, including development of the latest innovations in parachute systems.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Fail from the bbc commentaroes for not telling us the the older man acting as Capcom" - capsule communicator, was Joe Kittinger who set the record in 1960.

merithyn

Quote from: Syt on October 14, 2012, 02:01:40 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 14, 2012, 01:54:34 PM
I still call it insanity

But it's not all vanity:

Yeah. The science of it was pretty remarkable.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

That gif is rubbish, if they'd left the footage run another 2-3 seconds, we see him reduced to a small grey dot, a much better demonstration of the acceleration.

mongers

Congratulations to Felix Baumgartner, 127,000 ft and 729mph, the real Spirit of Endeavour; Mankind needs to go higher, further and faster.

Ed Anger

Big deal. I once ate 20 bowls of chili in one setting.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive