And we're back!

Main Menu

Red Bull space jump

Started by merithyn, October 09, 2012, 02:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Meri thinks Chuck Yeager's a big old pussy, too.

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on October 10, 2012, 10:50:54 AM
So Kittinger was idiotic as well?

And astronauts are idiotic, since they go up in a spaceship where there is no atmosphere?

Or is it specifically the balloon that makes it idiotic? Or the jumping out?

What if he went up in a glider and jumped out?

What if he went up in a balloon, but did not jump out?

Quote from: merithyn on October 10, 2012, 10:47:24 AM
What defines it as idiotic - in my opinion - is going up in a ballon to where there is no atmosphere and jumping out. I think it's stupid. I define that as idiotic and neither brave nor noble.

You're welcome to define idiotic however you choose. To me, this is one way to do so.

I find the above stupid. So if that's what Kittinger did, then yes, I think that's idiotic, too.

As for the rest, why do you care?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 10, 2012, 10:51:22 AM
Meri thinks Chuck Yeager's a big old pussy, too.

idiotic =/= pussy
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

The issue, I would have thought, is whether he's taking a real big risk, and if so, what he hopes to accomplish.

Risking your life for a thrill, to get in the record books, or to promote Red Bull, isn't really the same as risking your life to advance science. Assuming he's doing the former and not the latter.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Well, apparently there's some "advancing science" bits attached to it too... testing the suit he's wearing and whatnot.

Maximus

Yeah, he says it's primarily a science mission.

Eddie Teach

And Red Bull will give him a lot of bananas if he survives.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

The guy is from Zell am See, i.e. around the corner from Dietrich Mateschitz, i.e. Mr. Red Bull himself.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Zell am See, btw. Beautiful place. :)

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

Mark my words:  when word gets out about Red Bull, with the help of marketing gimmicks like this, it will be big.

Zanza

DGuller

They're everywhere now, aren't they?  :(

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on October 10, 2012, 11:42:19 AM
Zell am See, btw. Beautiful place. :)

Just like in Band of Brothers.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould