San Francisco Is America's Best City in 2012

Started by garbon, September 26, 2012, 07:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Maximus on September 27, 2012, 05:29:19 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2012, 04:20:10 PM
Which I suppose begs the question of whether Max's stat is only including daylight hours.  Pretty sure it isn't.
I'm pretty sure it is. If you look at the data there's a strong correlation between number of sunshine hours and the number of daylight hours in a month. Taking a look at the same data for Chicago, since I'm more familiar with the weather there, it has 3 times more sunshine hours in July than in December. I'm pretty sure there isn't actually that much difference in cloud coverage, but the change in daylight hours could explain it.

Cloud cover can vary quite a bit, trust me I'm a Brit; in December 1890 London's offical total number of hours of sunshine was zero, yes Zero for the whole month.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maximus

Quote from: mongers on September 27, 2012, 05:45:10 PM
Cloud cover can vary quite a bit, trust me I'm a Brit; in December 1890 London's offical total number of hours of sunshine was zero, yes Zero for the whole month.   :bowler:
I'm not saying it can't, I'm saying it doesn't in Chicago.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on September 27, 2012, 11:35:36 AM
Really?  Cleveland in the top 50?  LOL.
There's no way anyone who has been to Cleveland anytime in the recent past would rank it in the top 50. :lol:  This whole list is therefore garbage.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on September 27, 2012, 06:50:11 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 27, 2012, 11:35:36 AM
Really?  Cleveland in the top 50?  LOL.
There's no way anyone who has been to Cleveland anytime in the recent past would rank it in the top 50. :lol:  This whole list is therefore garbage.

Only thing they might have taken account is the economic boomlet going on up there. IIRC, unemployment is below 5 % up there.

Would I live in Cleveland? Not a chance.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Cleveland may very well be a dump (never been), but you sure there are 50 US cities that are better?

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2012, 07:07:05 PM
Cleveland may very well be a dump (never been), but you sure there are 50 US cities that are better?

Depends on how large the city has to be.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Depends on how big they have to be to qualify. There are thousands of places that are technically cities.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 27, 2012, 07:23:18 PM

Depends on how big they have to be to qualify. There are thousands of places that are technically cities.

Though I'm not sure we have to go that far. I mean this wiki has the list of those over 100,000. I think I can easily pick out 50 better than Cleveland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Clearly you people didn't watch the clip I linked earlier.  :rolleyes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?