San Francisco Is America's Best City in 2012

Started by garbon, September 26, 2012, 07:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2012, 04:20:10 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 27, 2012, 04:10:32 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2012, 04:03:11 PM
300 hours is 12.5 days a month of sunshine.  :huh:

Surely 10 hours per day on average would be a better metric ?

Yours could lead people to think most of their waking hours will be sunny.

Which I suppose begs the question of whether Max's stat is only including daylight hours.  Pretty sure it isn't.

Which would be largely correct for a summer month with 300hs sunshine.

Non-daylight hours that are sunny ? :blink:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: katmai on September 27, 2012, 04:24:11 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2012, 04:21:11 PM
Quote from: katmai on September 27, 2012, 04:16:34 PM
:lol:

Did you think I'd lived there or vacationed there extensively? :unsure:
No I knew from your comments you had spent little time there if at all. :)

With all the places in the world to visit - I think 2 weeks was pretty generous for a general region that had already disappointed me.

I'd wager that most people who hate Los Angeles have spent less than 2 weeks there. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on September 27, 2012, 04:26:28 PM

Which I suppose begs the question of whether Max's stat is only including daylight hours.  Pretty sure it isn't.

Which doesn't make any sense - as there is no way that an SF summer consists of 10 hours a day of sunshine. That would mean that SF is always sunny during the day in summer.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maximus

Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2012, 04:09:56 PM
My apologies. I forgot that I was dealing with a Canadian.
I don't see how that's relevant as the places I grew up in had similar amounts of sunshine as those you listed. That was my point-- they're all continental climates which are expected to have lots of sunshine and which San Francisco is not.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on September 27, 2012, 04:37:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2012, 04:09:56 PM
My apologies. I forgot that I was dealing with a Canadian.
I don't see how that's relevant as the places I grew up in had similar amounts of sunshine as those you listed. That was my point-- they're all continental climates which are expected to have lots of sunshine and which San Francisco is not.

Because all of your compatriots seem to like what I'd call gloomy weather and temps. :D

I'm not sure I follow as San Francisco falls into Mediterranean climate - so one would expect a lot of sun...except that SF throws a curveball and actually has a lot less sun then its neighboring surroundings.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2012, 04:30:51 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 27, 2012, 04:26:28 PM

Which doesn't make any sense - as there is no way that an SF summer consists of 10 hours a day of sunshine. That would mean that SF is always sunny during the day in summer.

No your underestimating how long a summers day is, in SF at high summer the day is 14 hours 45 minutes long.

Admiral Yi

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2012, 04:58:21 PM
:mellow:

Have you ever been to San Francisco mongers?

Which bit of San Francisco would be the apposite question.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on September 27, 2012, 04:53:22 PM
No your underestimating how long a summers day is, in SF at high summer the day is 14 hours 45 minutes long.

Fairish point though I think what I said still stands. It isn't very likely that most of the day in summer in SF is sunny unless one uses a very loose definition of sunshine.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on September 27, 2012, 05:14:35 PM
Which bit of San Francisco would be the apposite question.

The part that faces the sun during the day.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2012, 05:18:30 PM

Fairish point though I think what I said still stands. It isn't very likely that most of the day in summer in SF is sunny unless one uses a very loose definition of sunshine.

I think in large part the confusion is because of where the main weather station in SF is situated, I'd bet it's probably on one of the hills in the sunnier parts of town, whereas you and others are fondly remember one of the more foggy micro-climates nearer the shoreline etc.

Maximus

I'm pretty sure it is. If you look at the data there's a strong correlation between number of sunshine hours and the number of daylight hours in a month. Taking a look at the same data for Chicago, since I'm more familiar with the weather there, it has 3 times more sunshine hours in July than in December. I'm pretty sure there isn't actually that much difference in cloud coverage, but the change in daylight hours could explain it.

Maximus

Ah it appears that wiki agrees with Mongers:
QuoteBecause of its sharp topography and maritime influences, San Francisco exhibits a multitude of distinct microclimates. The high hills in the geographic center of the city are responsible for a 20% variance in annual rainfall between different parts of the city. They also protect neighborhoods directly to their east from the foggy and sometimes very cold and windy conditions experienced in the Sunset District; for those who live on the eastern side of the city, San Francisco is sunnier, with an average of 260 clear days, and only 105 cloudy days per year.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 27, 2012, 01:53:05 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2012, 10:49:45 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on September 27, 2012, 10:44:54 AM
Seattle #2!  :yeah:

Which is so clearly a lie.

I don't know why, has everything going for it:  rainy and gloomy most of the time, plenty of coffee shops and Asian chicks.  Sounds like a winner to me.

To speak on demographics...I was checking out the website for my old elementary school the other day (which is in one of the wealthier suburban neighborhoods)...enrollment for 2010-2011 was 51% Asian.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on September 27, 2012, 05:28:25 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2012, 05:18:30 PM

I think in large part the confusion is because of where the main weather station in SF is situated, I'd bet it's probably on one of the hills in the sunnier parts of town, whereas you and others are fondly remember one of the more foggy micro-climates nearer the shoreline etc.

That's fair. Also I don't fondly remember those parts at all - it's why I lived in the sunny neighborhood. :P