Britishisms and the Britishisation of American English

Started by Brazen, September 27, 2012, 06:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: merithyn on October 17, 2012, 03:28:02 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 17, 2012, 03:15:17 PM
Meri, this is the place to go and get your Welsh pronunciation sorted http://www.nantgwrtheyrn.org/

Getting to the pub is a rather stiff 2-mile uphill walk though. I camped in that valley back in the 80s when the village was derelict apart from one house with an enthusiastic Welsh teacher and his single student in it  :D

:wub: :wub: :wub:

I can stay for six months without a Visa, right? :unsure:

Yes, but you mustn't work  :bowler:

merithyn

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 17, 2012, 03:32:16 PM
Meri, this is the place to go and get your Welsh pronunciation sorted http://www.nantgwrtheyrn.org/

Getting to the pub is a rather stiff 2-mile uphill walk though. I camped in that valley back in the 80s when the village was derelict apart from one house with an enthusiastic Welsh teacher and his single student in it  :D

Yes, but you mustn't work  :bowler:

:wub: Okay. :wub:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

I think you'd go stir-crazy first.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: mongers on October 17, 2012, 03:31:20 PM

Good grief, that's an out of the way place, I used to live opposite the Llŷn Peninsula and it often looked a god forsaken place in most Welsh weather.

There was a big storm while we were camping there, I was trapped in my tent for 48 hours with only a gorgeous 22-year old Japanese girl for company  :o

We were tough in those days though and inured to hardship  :cool:

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on October 17, 2012, 03:20:20 PM
All I know about Wales is found in the fine old nursery rhyme about Taffy the Welshman.  ;)

Is there anything good about Wales?  All I ever hear seems to be negative.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2012, 03:40:28 PM
All I know about Wales is found in the fine old nursery rhyme about Taffy the Welshman.  ;)

Charles.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2012, 03:40:28 PM

The scenery is incredible. I only made it from England across the southern end through Cardiff and Swansea, but it was really gorgeous. We drove back to the north of Cardiff, and I absolutely fell in love with the place.

Plus, we spent half the day in Cardiff, and the people there were absolutely lovely. So gracious and kind, and not just because I'm an American, either. I was with a good friend who had lived in Wales for 15 years and "sounded" like one of them. They were just lovely people.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Richard Hakluyt

I'm only familiar with North Wales but find it a good place to visit. It's an area of attractive scenery, small towns and villages. A high percentage of the hotels and pubs are mildly eccentric and have not succumbed to corporate blandness. The weather is excellent of course, as it is throughout Britain.

garbon

In school I went to something on the Rhyl to Conwy bit and then back out to Chester (as well as visited a bit of Offa's Dyke). I guess it was pretty (very green) but it was also grey and rainy so nothing too exciting.  Did see more sheep than I've ever seen in my life.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I went to Conwy!

http://garbose.blogspot.com/2007/01/wales-borderlands.html

QuoteAlthough you can't see it well, I found it odd that the local townspeople seem content to let boats rot away along the coast near the castle.

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

There are some good castles as well, among the best in the world that is. King Edward I built some of the best ones to help secure the area.

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 17, 2012, 04:06:00 PM
There are some good castles as well, among the best in the world that is. King Edward I built some of the best ones to help secure the area.

"The best parts of our fine Welsh heritage are Offa's Dyke and the castles of Edward I - in short, things built by foreigners to keep the Welsh under control"  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 17, 2012, 03:37:59 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 17, 2012, 03:31:20 PM

Good grief, that's an out of the way place, I used to live opposite the Llŷn Peninsula and it often looked a god forsaken place in most Welsh weather.

There was a big storm while we were camping there, I was trapped in my tent for 48 hours with only a gorgeous 22-year old Japanese girl for company  :o

We were tough in those days though and inured to hardship  :cool:

Yes you had it hard in those days.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on October 17, 2012, 04:09:53 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 17, 2012, 04:06:00 PM

"The best parts of our fine Welsh heritage are Offa's Dyke and the castles of Edward I - in short, things built by foreigners to keep the Welsh under control"  :D

Whoever said that was lying. Offa's Dyke is a long mound of dirt. :x

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017