Britishisms and the Britishisation of American English

Started by Brazen, September 27, 2012, 06:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 17, 2012, 01:22:56 PM
Hmm. I thought most came over in the late 1800s, much like the Irish.  :hmm:

Why would there be a huge Welsh immigration in the late 1800s?  There was no Welsh Potato famine. 

There was some, of course but not like the Irish.

A large number came over during the Colonial Period.  I seem to recall alot of Quakers were Welsh.

Edit: looking it up it does appear there was a bit of an uptick in the 19th century but mostly in the early part of it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2012, 01:45:49 PM
Why would there be a huge Welsh immigration in the late 1800s?  There was no Welsh Potato famine. 

There was some, of course but not like the Irish.

A large number came over during the Colonial Period.  I seem to recall alot of Quakers were Welsh.

Edit: looking it up it does appear there was a bit of an uptick in the 19th century but mostly in the early part of it.

I was thinking that it was due to problems with the coal mines. That's why my family came over.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Some of it would also be the early and late 19th agricultural depressions.

Oh and I've now noticed I seem to use 'good grief' rather a lot, is that English or American English ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on October 17, 2012, 02:05:44 PM

Oh and I've now noticed I seem to use 'good grief' rather a lot, is that English or American English ?

I don't know but I know it is connected here with Charlie Brown.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

IIRC there was a Welsh diaspora of sorts in the late 1800s.  A bunch of them ended up in South America.  There is a whole town in Argentina where everyone has a Welsh surname. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2012, 02:26:44 PM
IIRC there was a Welsh diaspora of sorts in the late 1800s.  A bunch of them ended up in South America.  There is a whole town in Argentina where everyone has a Welsh surname.

Single surname towns are pretty common in the South.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Which one? Jones or Williams? :P

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on October 17, 2012, 02:34:33 PM

Well my grandmother was a Williams from Wales, so that must been we're related, right ?   :D

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on October 17, 2012, 03:05:47 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 17, 2012, 02:34:33 PM

Well my grandmother was a Williams from Wales, so that must been we're related, right ?   :D

:w00t:

COUSIN!! :hug:

Richard Hakluyt

Meri, this is the place to go and get your Welsh pronunciation sorted http://www.nantgwrtheyrn.org/

Getting to the pub is a rather stiff 2-mile uphill walk though. I camped in that valley back in the 80s when the village was derelict apart from one house with an enthusiastic Welsh teacher and his single student in it  :D

Malthus

All I know about Wales is found in the fine old nursery rhyme about Taffy the Welshman.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2012, 02:16:19 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 17, 2012, 02:05:44 PM

I don't know but I know it is connected here with Charlie Brown.

The OED has it first recorded as appearing in 1900 in the English Dialect dictionary, though no indication from where.

No doubt you're right about Charlie brown's influence, but for me google has just shown me where I must have picked it up from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger_Mouse_(TV_series)

Danger Mouse (voiced by David Jason): The world's greatest secret agent......
Referred to as the "White Wonder" and "Wretched Rodent" by Baron Greenback. Catchphrases: "Good grief!", "Penfold, shush!", "Blast!"

merithyn

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 17, 2012, 03:15:17 PM
Meri, this is the place to go and get your Welsh pronunciation sorted http://www.nantgwrtheyrn.org/

Getting to the pub is a rather stiff 2-mile uphill walk though. I camped in that valley back in the 80s when the village was derelict apart from one house with an enthusiastic Welsh teacher and his single student in it  :D

:wub: :wub: :wub:

I can stay for six months without a Visa, right? :unsure:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 17, 2012, 03:15:17 PM

Good grief, that's an out of the way place, I used to live opposite the Llŷn Peninsula and it often looked a god forsaken place in most Welsh weather.