News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Whom Do You Root For: Russo-Japanese War

Started by Admiral Yi, September 22, 2012, 04:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think whom, while grammatically correct, sounds goofy and off?

Nips
22 (53.7%)
Russkies
14 (34.1%)
I wish they would both Jaron each other.
5 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Admiral Yi

Another one where it's not abundantly clear IMO who the Good Guy and the Bad Guy are.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Japan.  If only because more of East Asia doesn't need to be under Soviet domination later on.

mongers

Neither, instead British North Sea fishing fleet with timmayesque holographic laser fishing nets.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Phillip V

President Theodore Roosevelt was no fan of the Russians: “No human beings, black, yellow or white, could be quite as untruthful, as insincere, as arrogant — in short, as untrustworthy in every way — as the Russians,” he wrote in August 1905, near the end of the Russo-Japanese War. The Japanese, on the other hand, were “a wonderful and civilized people,” Roosevelt wrote, “entitled to stand on an absolute equality with all the other peoples of the civilized world.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/06/opinion/06bradley.html

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 22, 2012, 04:42:15 PM
Japan.  If only because more of East Asia doesn't need to be under Soviet domination later on.

But it weakened the Tsar and strengthened Japan's imperial aims. Perhaps if Japan had been crushed there'd have been no Pacific War later on.

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

The Brain

I hate it when the thread question and the poll question are different.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 22, 2012, 04:56:57 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on September 22, 2012, 04:42:15 PM

But it weakened the Tsar and strengthened Japan's imperial aims. Perhaps if Japan had been crushed there'd have been no Pacific War later on.

Arguably, it was already too late for the Tsar.  But granted, Japan's victory emboldened them for later on.  However, I don't think there was any real chance of Japan being "crushed".  At worst, less favorable peace terms (though Japan was already somewhat disappointed wit h the  "victorious" terms)...probably leading to a Pacific theater in WWII anyway.  Though in this case,  a post-WWII Soviet Union would have much more control of the Far East due to their pre-war claims.

Eddie Teach

As to the poll question, while whom is grammatically correct, leaving the for dangling at the end is not. But who cares?

Camerus

The Japs.  For one, they didn't already control 1/6th of the world's land surface.  Secondly, and maybe I'm just speaking in terms of what *did* happen rather than what might have happened, but I think Japan was the society that would be much easier to integrate into a peaceful world system than Russia could ever be.

DGuller

When did Japanese start committing atrocities?  Was it a WWII thing, or just the SOP for them at the time?

Phillip V

Quote from: DGuller on September 22, 2012, 08:32:03 PM
When did Japanese start committing atrocities?  Was it a WWII thing, or just the SOP for them at the time?
IIRC, they were committing atrocities since they conquered Korea and Taiwan in 1910 and 1895 respectively. It was perhaps part of their new militant culture.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Japan.  If the Japan had lost that war, it might not have had attacked the US in 1941, and thus wouldn't have been destroyed by the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017