News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Whom Do You Root For: Russo-Japanese War

Started by Admiral Yi, September 22, 2012, 04:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think whom, while grammatically correct, sounds goofy and off?

Nips
22 (53.7%)
Russkies
14 (34.1%)
I wish they would both Jaron each other.
5 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

citizen k

Quote from: Razgovory on September 22, 2012, 09:29:47 PM
Quote from: Kleves on September 22, 2012, 05:04:58 PM
Russia is never the good guy.

Goddamn Nazi sympathizer.

Not really. The Nazis kill the Commies, then we get to kill Nazis. It's a beautiful world.

Razgovory

Quote from: citizen k on September 22, 2012, 09:55:08 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 22, 2012, 09:29:47 PM
Quote from: Kleves on September 22, 2012, 05:04:58 PM
Russia is never the good guy.

Goddamn Nazi sympathizer.

Not really. The Nazis kill the Commies, then we get to kill Nazis. It's a beautiful world.

When the Nazis are fighting someone, you root for the other guy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Japan.  They proved their worth with Tsushima.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Capetan Mihali

It's "Who do you root for?", isn't it?  Alternatively, it could be "For whom do you root?".
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Grinning_Colossus

'Whom do you root for?,' and 'For whom do you root?' are both correct. 'Who do you root for?' isn't.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Grinning_Colossus

Also, voted Russkies for purely aesthetic reasons -- the big green/red continental blob looks nice on a map.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

OttoVonBismarck

The only conflict in history where I support the Russians is their battling of the Mongol hordes.

Razgovory

Otto probably would have been a spy for the Germans in WWII.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

OttoVonBismarck

No, between Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia I didn't want either side to "win." The USSR under Stalin was possibly worse of an abuser of human rights than the Nazis (they probably killed more people anyway), and both were injurious to the best interests of the United States.

A better scenario than what actually happened would have been the Germans taking Moscow, as it would have almost certainly resulted in Stalin's fall as leader of the USSR. But it still would have bled Germany dry and left them massively overextended. We would have still pushed in from the West and with support whoever replaced Stalin would still be a threat from the East so U.S. servicemen's death count wouldn't be too much higher. Except we'd end up with American and British forces occupying all of Germany and probably parts of Poland, Hungary etc.

Razgovory

You know what makes the Nazis much worse then the Soviets?  The fact they are shooting at us.  Every soldier that isn't killed by the Soviets, is one shooting at American soldiers.  You know what's better then the Germans winning and becoming overextended from the stand point of say, Americans who have to fight the Germans?  The Soviets taking Berlin and killing bunch of goddamn Nazis.

Neil

I would have bled the US white to prevent the Cold War.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Be easier just to stay off the continent for a while and then nuke Berlin, Moscow and Tokyo simultaneously.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 23, 2012, 05:24:43 PM
Be easier just to stay off the continent for a while and then nuke Berlin, Moscow and Tokyo simultaneously.

Ooh, and while we are at that, we can mine gold off asteroids and every American would be rich!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on September 23, 2012, 05:33:05 PM

Ooh, and while we are at that, we can mine gold off asteroids and every American would be rich!
I never implied asteroid mining would have that result.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 23, 2012, 05:33:05 PM

Maybe the people of the future will say that, but I doubt it. However, with our hindsight of WW2, we know that Americans developed the bomb in 1945 and that it was used just a few months after the Nazis fell.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?