News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Basic etiquette

Started by merithyn, September 21, 2012, 01:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

As most of you know, I was raised in a very lower-class, poor environment. I was taught basic etiquette like to say please, thank you, excuse me, etc. But I didn't learn a good bit of the other kind of stuff. Like, I was 25 before I knew that it was considered polite to say excuse me when you walk in front of someone. (I believe that's pretty much been amended to "whenever you have to invade someone's personal bubble" now, whether it's in front of, behind, or next to.)

So I'm curious. What are some of the most basic etiquette gaffes that you see regularly? I'm interested to know how many I make on a daily basis.  :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

MadImmortalMan

Wearing flip-flops.

Leaving three carlengths of space in front of you at a stoplight when people behind you are waiting to enter your lane.

Making two 45 degree turns instead of one 90 degree one. Especially when you're cutting off the person in the inside lane.

When I'm having lunch in my office, people don't fucking respect that. They still come in and ask for shit. I don't get paid for my lunch hour, people. Go away.

People who park on the street corners.

People who ride bicycles on heavily trafficked commuter routes. Take the damn side streets.

Walking really slowly and aimlessly in the aisles of grocery stores and stopping abruptly when something shiny catches your ADD-addled eye.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

:hmm:

Those seem more like petty irritations, not etiquette. Though, the lunch thing does seem like a typical business etiquette thing. We hang signs up to let people know that we're on break/lunch, but it doesn't always help.

Barrister

If you're wt work, your working.  Just put down your sammich and answer my simple question.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

And I am sitting here, having finished my sammich, and eating some carrots, a colleague came by and asked me some questions.  I didn't mind a bit.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

I'm wearing flip flops right now!!!!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

I had to learn how to eat at a "fancy" restaurant.  My first reaction - wtf are all these knifes, forkes and glasses doing here?

MadImmortalMan

MadImmortalMan

Abusing the cc function. That one is terrible.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 21, 2012, 01:37:49 PM
I had to learn how to eat at a "fancy" restaurant.  My first reaction - wtf are all these knifes, forkes and glasses doing here?

I taught myself how to do this using a Miss Manners book when I was in high school, but I've never had the opportunity to use it. :mad:

CountDeMoney

Didn't any of you people take Home Economics?  It was all in there, dammit.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2012, 01:31:47 PM
If you're wt work, your working.  Just put down your sammich and answer my simple question.

Yeah right, I'm like "I'm on my lunch break".

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 21, 2012, 01:54:06 PM
Didn't any of you people take Home Economics?  It was all in there, dammit.

:unsure:

Our Home Economics class was all about how to wash ourselves, how to use deoderant, how to wash our clothes, how to iron, how to make pancakes, and how to sew a pillow. No etiquette to speak of.