News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Basic etiquette

Started by merithyn, September 21, 2012, 01:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 21, 2012, 11:39:59 PM
The purpose of an escalator is to move faster, not to ride the thing. If you get on one and stop, I hate you.

Based on this thread I've surmised that you hate a lot of things.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on September 21, 2012, 09:13:27 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 21, 2012, 09:07:45 PM
This is the modern age. Let the motorized device do the job.
I run down the moving sidewalks at airports.  OUT OF MY WAY OLD LADY I'VE GOT A PLANE TO CATCH

Maybe if you left on time, you wouldn't have this problem.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on September 21, 2012, 11:41:55 PM
The purpose of an escalator is to move faster, not to ride the thing. If you get on one and stop, I hate you.

MiM also crawls up elevator shafts when he doesn't feel the elevator is moving fast enough.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 21, 2012, 06:15:38 PM
More annoyances:

People who walk up and down escalators.

They're like stairs.  Why the hell shouldn't I walk up them?

If you're going to stand on the escalator, fine, but make room for people who are walking as we pass.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2012, 11:49:23 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 21, 2012, 06:15:38 PM
More annoyances:

People who walk up and down escalators.

They're like stairs.  Why the hell shouldn't I walk up them?

Cause they aren't stair and they are moving?

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2012, 01:32:36 PM
And I am sitting here, having finished my sammich, and eating some carrots, a colleague came by and asked me some questions.  I didn't mind a bit.

I love eating at work.  I work while I eat, so I get paid to ingest calories, so lunch is basically free.  Ingenious!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on September 22, 2012, 01:44:42 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2012, 01:32:36 PM
And I am sitting here, having finished my sammich, and eating some carrots, a colleague came by and asked me some questions.  I didn't mind a bit.

I love eating at work.  I work while I eat, so I get paid to ingest calories, so lunch is basically free.  Ingenious!

Where do you work now, anyway?

Syt

On escalators, you stand on the right and you walk on the left. I find people annoying who stand on the left, blocking the whole thing. I find people who shout at the left-standers about what retards they are even worse.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on September 21, 2012, 11:47:37 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 21, 2012, 11:41:55 PM

MiM also crawls up elevator shafts when he doesn't feel the elevator is moving fast enough.

:D
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on September 22, 2012, 01:59:36 AM
On escalators, you stand on the right and you walk on the left.

:yes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

Indeed you do, even in England  :)

Josquius

Really? In Britain I thought we stood on the left and walked on the right? Been so long and I rarely went to places with them that I really can't remember! :lol:

In Japan that is a well observed difference between the Tokyo area and the Osaka area.
In the Tokyo area you stand on the left and walk on the right. In Osaka you stand on the right and walk on the left. It really is rather cool to see everything the same but different.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

To return to the subject of holding doors open, I do that for anyone if they are walking quite close behind me and the alternative is letting the door close as they approach it. If they are sufficiently far behind that the door will close and come to a stop before they reach it then I don't hold the door for them. If someone is approaching the door and is disabled or pushing a buggy then I'll make a more substantial effort to hold the door open for them, IMO that goes beyond etiquette though and is genuinely helpful rather than simple courtesy.

No woman has ever lambasted me for holding a door open for her, I find it hard to imagine that someone could be so ridiculous. However, similar to Yi's experience, some older women just sail past without any acknowledgment, which strikes me as rather discourteous.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tyr on September 22, 2012, 03:33:42 AM
Really? In Britain I thought we stood on the left and walked on the right? Been so long and I rarely went to places with them that I really can't remember! :lol:

In Japan that is a well observed difference between the Tokyo area and the Osaka area.
In the Tokyo area you stand on the left and walk on the right. In Osaka you stand on the right and walk on the left. It really is rather cool to see everything the same but different.

It is definitely the case on the London Underground. I'm fairly sure it's the same on the Tyneside Metro too, but can't summon up an actual memory to confirm it  :hmm:

garbon

Don't chat with me at the urinals. Don't even act like you see me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.