Romney: 47% of Americans are losers, don't care about 'em

Started by Queequeg, September 17, 2012, 06:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I wouldn't expect much from a person who puts Ayn Rand quotes in their sig.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on September 25, 2012, 05:29:37 AM
QuoteMitt Romney Wonders Why Ann Romney's Airplane Windows Don't Roll Down

Making post-fundraiser comments this weekend, presidential candidate Mitt Romney revealed a tenuous grip on the science of aviation, despite the fact that he and his wife, Ann, have been flying around the country this summer on the campaign trail.

After his wife's plane was forced to make an emergency landing this weekend, Romney told the Los Angeles Times, he was worried for her safety. The candidate then continued on a bizarre tangent that showed just how little the Republican nominee understands about flight.

"I appreciate the fact that she is on the ground, safe and sound. And I don't think she knows just how worried some of us were," Romney told the paper. "When you have a fire in an aircraft, there's no place to go, exactly."

Romney said the biggest problem in a distressed aircraft is that "the windows don't open. I don't know why they don't do that. It's a real problem. So it's very dangerous."

The main reason airplane windows don't open is because there isn't enough oxygen at cruising altitude to keep passengers alive. (The fear of window or cabin failures, which would lead to potentially fatal hypoxia, is why many planes are equipped with emergency oxygen masks.)

"You can't find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don't open," Romney told the Times, suggesting that additional oxygen in the cabin during the electrical malfunction could've alleviated the problem. In fact, if there were an electrical fire on board, additional oxygen would have fed the flames.

Strangely, Romney seemed to acknowledge the importance of oxygen later in his comments. "Fortunately, there was enough oxygen for the pilot and copilot to make a safe landing in Denver," he said.

Hypoxia aboard aircraft has led to many fatalities over the years, including the 1999 crash that killed golfer Payne Stewart. In 2005, Helios Airways Flight 522 crashed, killing all 121 aboard after the crew was incapacitated.

:frusty:

I know there would be safety issues from a lot of different angles, but rolling down the windows wouldn't have oxygen issues if you got under ~20,000 feet or so. If you are sitting in a smoke filled airplane for an extended period waiting to get to the nearest airport, that may not seem like a bad alternative.

In other news, Intrade has the odds for Romney under 30%. Things seem to be slipping away for him.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Queequeg

I have never been in a smokefilled airplane cabin.  At least since the 90s. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2012, 08:32:24 AM
I wouldn't expect much from a person who puts Ayn Rand quotes in their sig.

This coming from someone who's had quotes from Lettow and Hans in his.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on September 25, 2012, 09:36:28 AM

I doubt most people have been in a malfunctioning plane that lead to smoke inside the plane. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

:D  You can always tell how old your plane is if it still has the metal ashtrays in the arm rests.  Just a bit scary.

Queequeg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2012, 10:40:55 AM

:D  You can always tell how old your plane is if it still has the metal ashtrays in the arm rests.  Just a bit scary.
I remember my dad bitching about smoke-filled flights to Japan on JAL in the 90s.  He complained about it a lot. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2012, 05:57:21 AM
Quote from: Jacob on September 25, 2012, 01:58:13 AM
So how about that whole Mitt Romney investing in a state owned Chinese Oil Company* that big investments in Iran?

*no word on what kind of Oil Company.

Cnooc?  I found it 1) incredibly interesting and 2) so not surprising at all.

Yeah, that's the one. It's particularly interesting, given his own prior statements on what sort of control you have over blind trusts.

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on September 25, 2012, 11:54:44 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2012, 05:57:21 AM
Cnooc?  I found it 1) incredibly interesting and 2) so not surprising at all.

Yeah, that's the one. It's particularly interesting, given his own prior statements on what sort of control you have over blind trusts.

From what I've read in the NYT and the FT, Cnooc is a particularly nasty operation.

QuoteLast month, Cnooc Limited's chairman, Wang Yilin, said in a speech that the company's large-scale deep water rights were a "mobile national territory and a strategic weapon", a description that highlights the political sensitivity surrounding the company.

QuoteIn the US, the deal was viewed as part of a worrying effort by China to secure energy interests.

According to a report by the International Gas Report in February of 2009, Beijing gave Cnooc the green light to sign a deal with Tehran immediately after the US agreed to sell arms to Taiwan. The agreement, which was on and off for years before the deal was signed, even prompted interest from the US State Department in 2007, which examined whether it violated the Iran-Libya Sanctions Act.

QuoteCnooc is awaiting approval by the US for its $15bn takeover of Nexen, an oil group based in Calgary with interests in the Gulf of Mexico. The deal requires approval by the Committee on Foreign Investments in the US, which vets cross-border deals on national security grounds. An earlier attempt by Cnooc to take over California-based Unocal in 2005 was scrapped after the transaction was attacked on Capitol Hill. So far, the takeover of Nexen has not garnered similar opposition, although Mr Romney's tax records has put a new spotlight on Cnooc.

Erica Downs, a fellow at the Brookings Institute, said that if the Nexen deal were approved, it would represent the first time a Chinese company was given an operating role at an energy company in the US.

So not cool. 

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2012, 12:02:46 PM
Are the facts you stated not in question Jake?

Here are what I understand as being the facts:

1) CNOOC is considered pretty unsavoury by the US, having been denied concessions to get involved with US oil rights, doing business with Iran (immediately after the US shipped weapons to Taiwan) and some of the statements CdM put up. I believe that's pretty much a fact.

2) Mitt Romney is on the record as saying a person has control over what sort of investments are made in a blind trust, that guidelines can be set. I've seen that clip, so I consider that a fact as well.

3) Mitt Romney's blind trust was invested in CNOOC up until some time last year. This I'm not completely sure is a fact; I heard it mentioned a few places, and I believe it's come out as a result of the recent tax return release, but I'm not sure. I expect it's probably true, but I haven't looked into it to a degree that I'll say it's beyond question.

DGuller

Obama trading at 76% now.  I now have positive equity in my bet. :yeah:

Phillip V

Quote from: DGuller on September 26, 2012, 02:18:14 PM
Obama trading at 76% now.  I now have positive equity in my bet. :yeah:
You could have doubled your money with me. :(