Romney: 47% of Americans are losers, don't care about 'em

Started by Queequeg, September 17, 2012, 06:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Queequeg on September 17, 2012, 07:30:05 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 17, 2012, 07:28:24 PM
This is Mitt's "cling to guns and religion" moment.  He's done.
This seems way more potent. Hiroshima v. Tsar Bomba.
I don't know about guns, but the religion part could've seriously tanked him.  The quote makes him sound like a disdainful atheist, which IMO is the real religious "skeleton" in his closet.  I'm shocked he got off light with that flub, because I think Obama meant exactly what it sounded like he said.

Jaron

One wonders though if this statement drives anyone away who wasn't already not going to vote for Romney anyway.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

I don't think it'll hurt him that bad.  I think most Republicans believe that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on September 17, 2012, 07:25:58 PM
I disagree that it's a shame for them.  They get what they want and what they deserve for their religious and social intolerance.
I think it's a shame when people are narrow-minded. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on September 17, 2012, 06:10:32 PM
QuoteThere are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what...These are people who pay no income tax.
Romney went on: "[M]y job is is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."[/url]

Well, they sure as hell won't be voting for him now.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 17, 2012, 07:34:53 PM
That's a bad comparison since that moment didn't sink Obama.

Obama hadn't piled up the sheer numbers of nonsensical campaign errors on such a sustained, consistent level like Mittens has.

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on September 17, 2012, 07:35:47 PM
I don't know about guns, but the religion part could've seriously tanked him.  The quote makes him sound like a disdainful atheist, which IMO is the real religious "skeleton" in his closet.  I'm shocked he got off light with that flub, because I think Obama meant exactly what it sounded like he said.
You'd have to be an idiot to not realize that Obama is (at best) an agnostic.  The ironic thing is that the very same idiots who don't realize this keep accusing Obama of being a Muslim for some bizarre reason. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

No politician in the history of democracy has ever benefited by speculating openly why anybody chooses to not vote for him. That's what Glenn Beck, Limaugh, Palin and the other whackos are for.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on September 17, 2012, 07:38:24 PM
You'd have to be an idiot to not realize that Obama is (at best) an agnostic. 

I don't think he's an agnostic as much as he just doesn't care that much about it beyond going to the occasional church service from time to time.  You know, like most of the nation.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 17, 2012, 07:41:05 PM

I don't think he's an agnostic as much as he just doesn't care that much about it beyond going to the occasional church service from time to time.  You know, like most of the nation.

I think this is it. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 17, 2012, 07:41:05 PM

I wonder if he acts like 'them' in church. You know, all that testifying.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

Quote from: Caliga on September 17, 2012, 07:38:24 PMYou'd have to be an idiot to not realize that Obama is (at best) an agnostic.  The ironic thing is that the very same idiots who don't realize this keep accusing Obama of being a Muslim for some bizarre reason. :hmm:
I don't think you have any right to make these kinds of judgments about a person's religious beliefs.  I think it is clear that Obama has at the very least an affection for Christianity, and saw-correctly-that it was a way to connect with the African-American experience that he felt alienated from.  I'd be surprised if he had the same level of religious certitude as St. Augustine, but that's not that surprising. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Faeelin

Um. Romney's comment that he'd have a better shot of winning if he'd been born of Mexican parents also seems awful.

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on September 17, 2012, 07:35:47 PM
You'd have to be an idiot to not realize that Obama is (at best) an agnostic.  The ironic thing is that the very same idiots who don't realize this keep accusing Obama of being a Muslim for some bizarre reason. :hmm:

Which is the reason I think he has been pointing out that not only does he drink beer, but he brews it as well.

As for the atheist view of Obama, at worst he attends church for political reasons (reflects badly on his character), at middle he's a cultural christian who hasn't given the issue much thought (reflects badly on his intellectual curiosity), at best he's a non-confessing in the closet atheist (reflects well on his political judgement, but badly on character and courage). His professed religion is problematic, but then his politics are 100% consistent with secular humanist values, so we forgive him for lying about it.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 17, 2012, 07:42:53 PM
I wonder if he acts like 'them' in church. You know, all that testifying.

Doubtful, considering he's practically whiter than you.  He just sits there, and claps appreciatively.  Politely.  Offbeat, of course.