Romney: 47% of Americans are losers, don't care about 'em

Started by Queequeg, September 17, 2012, 06:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on September 17, 2012, 06:39:02 PM
So, this is one of those things we all know is true, but he's not supposed to say it, right?

No.  At the very, very best it's a massive overstatement.

Razgovory

If this is true, why do the poorest states in the Union go Republican?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

I'm not much for math or statistical analysis, but I sincerely doubt that 47% of Americans qualify for that statement and all he implies.

Zoupa

In any case, it undermines his attempt to appear Presidential. When seeking to be POTUS, one would assume you have the cares and worries of 100% of Americans, not just folks who'll vote for you.

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on September 17, 2012, 07:15:04 PM
Because the Republicans have allied themselves with the Christian Right and these voters don't care about economic stuff... which is a shame for them, really.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on September 17, 2012, 07:16:50 PM
In any case, it undermines his attempt to appear Presidential. When seeking to be POTUS, one would assume you have the cares and worries of 100% of Americans, not just folks who'll vote for you.

Yes indeed. Well at least one should pretend that. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 17, 2012, 07:15:26 PM
I'm not much for math or statistical analysis, but I sincerely doubt that 47% of Americans qualify for that statement and all he implies.

Yi was throwing around that 47% thing last week.  Where does it come from?  Is it 47% of people who file taxes or it 47% of the population?  I'd hardly expect 5 year old kid to pay much in taxation.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

So, this is one of those things we all know is true, but he's not supposed to say it, right?
Who is that we?   :huh:  I certainly don't think that all solid Obama voters are freeloaders without ambition.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 17, 2012, 07:21:31 PM
Who is that we?   :huh:  I certainly don't think that all solid Obama voters are freeloaders without ambition.

On this board, I think I'm the only one who really fits that description.

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on September 17, 2012, 07:20:01 PM
Because the Republicans have allied themselves with the Christian Right and these voters don't care about economic stuff... which is a shame for them, really.
I disagree that it's a shame for them.  They get what they want and what they deserve for their religious and social intolerance.

DGuller

This is Mitt's "cling to guns and religion" moment.  He's done.

Zoupa

Queequeg

Quote from: DGuller on September 17, 2012, 07:28:24 PM
This seems way more potent. Hiroshima v. Tsar Bomba.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 17, 2012, 07:25:58 PM
Quote from: Caliga on September 17, 2012, 07:20:01 PM
I disagree that it's a shame for them.  They get what they want and what they deserve for their religious and social intolerance.

I don't think it's actually true.  I think they care about economic stuff, but they don't see themselves as recipients of government aid.  They just sorta blot that out.  Welfare is what those lazy black people get or as Rick Santorum would say "Blaaahhh" people.  Sure they might get social security or medicaid but that's different.  I think that's why you often find people with warped ideas like the idea that they have Social Security account.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on September 17, 2012, 07:28:24 PM
That's a bad comparison since that moment didn't sink Obama.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point