Chicago Teachers Union leader Karen Lewis pushed back — and won

Started by garbon, September 17, 2012, 07:54:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 22, 2012, 06:18:10 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2012, 05:47:08 PM
Some interesting info from The Economist:

Chicago teachers have recieved raises averaging 7%/year for the last eight years.  Rahm-man's proposal that led to the strike was for 16% more over the next four years.
Well, being teachers they were probably only making minimum wage to begin with and will somehow still be making far below the average income when its over.
Their current average salary is $76,000/yr + benefits + summer vacation + shortest school day in the country + lifetime healthcare/pension + tenure

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Phillip V on September 22, 2012, 06:28:46 PM

Chicago teachers have recieved raises averaging 7%/year for the last eight years.  Rahm-man's proposal that led to the strike was for 16% more over the next four years.
Well, being teachers they were probably only making minimum wage to begin with and will somehow still be making far below the average income when its over.
Their current average salary is $76,000/yr + benefits + summer vacation + shortest school day in the country + lifetime healthcare/pension + tenure
Yeah, but they have to work long hours into the night, and come in hours early, and then because they make so little usually have to find second and even third jobs during the summer to offset the poor benefits and pay from the school system.
PDH!

DGuller

One way I like to judge the reasonableness of the pay level is by the existence of long lines to get the job, or overly restrictive qualifications needed to get the job.  That's how you can confidently tell that pretty much every NYC public employee union is extorting the living juices out of the city.  Has this been observed in Chicago with regard to teachers?

Razgovory

Those bastards!  Why aren't they in poverty?!?!?!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 22, 2012, 06:32:53 PM

Yeah, but they have to work long hours into the night, and come in hours early, and then because they make so little usually have to find second and even third jobs during the summer to offset the poor benefits and pay from the school system.
76k is low pay? And so what on the long hours? Many jobs are like that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 22, 2012, 10:38:14 PM
76k is low pay?

I always like plunking around with the cost of living calculators online.

76K for Columbus, Ohio? Yeah it rocks.  Chicago?  Meh.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on September 22, 2012, 10:47:36 PM
47% of Americans wish their salary was that low.

Teachers make so much bling they can apparently sit in on fundraisers in Boca Raton, but I still don't see Languishites climbing over one another to become public school teachers.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 22, 2012, 10:48:27 PM

What does your cost of living calculator say about 76K in Southside Chicago?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2012, 10:52:49 PM

Why?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 22, 2012, 10:50:21 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 22, 2012, 10:47:36 PM
47% of Americans wish their salary was that low.

Teachers make so much bling they can apparently sit in on fundraisers in Boca Raton, but I still don't see Languishites climbing over one another to become public school teachers.
if I knew they made that much I would have. Working 8 months a year and after a few years no chance of getting fired unless I nail a student? Score!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

That it's not worth moving to Chicago for.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on September 22, 2012, 10:56:01 PM
Why?

Why does Seedy's calculator say whatever it says about living on 76K in Southside Chicago? I give up. :unsure:

Also keep in mind that one income does not a typical household income make.

Jaron

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 22, 2012, 10:56:59 PM

That it's not worth moving to Chicago for.

You'd do well in Salt Lake City
Winner of THE grumbler point.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on September 22, 2012, 10:56:37 PM
if I knew they made that much I would have. Working 8 months a year and after a few years no chance of vesting fired unless I nail a student? Score!

I think you'd be a little to busy bobbing and weaving to nail students there.

QuoteCPS officials said there were 854 reported attacks against teachers and school employees in the last school year, with 180 resulting in injury.