Chicago Teachers Union leader Karen Lewis pushed back — and won

Started by garbon, September 17, 2012, 07:54:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2012, 05:33:58 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 23, 2012, 05:29:05 PM
:hmm: That is a pretty bullshit thing to say.  I'd say the most basic problem with education is the pervasive anti-intellectualism in our society.  Unfortunately, the people taking aim at teachers' unions are also the people doing the most they can to advance that problem further.

That's a harsh thing to say about Rahm Emmanuel and Andrew Cuomo.  :lol:
Again, so what?  :huh: I'm not sure where you're going with this.

Phillip V

:hmm: That is a pretty bullshit thing to say.  I'd say the most basic problem with education is the pervasive anti-intellectualism in our society.
Precisely. Teachers are anti-intellectual.

DGuller

Quote from: Phillip V on September 23, 2012, 05:51:47 PM
:hmm: That is a pretty bullshit thing to say.  I'd say the most basic problem with education is the pervasive anti-intellectualism in our society.
Precisely. Teachers are anti-intellectual.
Be quiet when adults are talking.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 23, 2012, 05:45:47 PM
Again, so what?  :huh: I'm not sure where you're going with this.

That's great.  If you think *anyone* who dares take on a teachers' union is on the side of anti-intellectualism, more power to you.  If current trends (particularly budget trends) continue that will sooner or later be every prince of the Democratic party.

Re Seedy's comment on most basic problem: I thought, since we were having the discussion about CTU contract negotiations, that the "basic problem" was that of public education financing.  In that subject there is no doubt the feedback loop from teachers' unions to Democratic state governments is the basic problem.  If you want to change the subject to the failures of the American public education system, then it's no longer as clear that the power of unions to influence their own compensation is "the basic problem."  But it's also not very clear how union demands are helping the cause of quality education.  More easy to see how they're not.

Phillip V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 23, 2012, 04:50:26 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on September 23, 2012, 03:38:59 PM
Pension Fund Is Running Dry

The Chicago Teachers' Pension Fund is paying out more than $1 billion a year — much more than it has been taking in — and experts say the fund could collapse within a few years

Good, then everybody will be happy.

Personally, I really don't care; I have no kids, don't plan on having any kids.  Otto and Ed and a select few may have the means to send their progeny off to private school, so good for them;  the rest of you mutts can send your unaborted snot-nosed mongoloids to a public school system nobody wants to fund along with the rest of the zip code's mouthbreathers.  Because "teachers make too much".  Wait until they don't, and see the shit that profession really attracts.  Look at the South.

Most of it'll be privatized in 25 to 35 years anyway, with the same basic problems.  Cities can then send their education budgets straight over to the police overtime budget.

So much for the concept of national public school education system.  Everybody for themselves, just like everything else. :yeah:
President Obama should enroll his daughters in public school now to show his support. :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on September 25, 2012, 06:40:44 PM
President Obama should enroll his daughters in public school now to show his support. :)

Exigent security reasons.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2012, 08:39:32 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on September 25, 2012, 06:40:44 PM

Exigent security reasons.
And that's before you take into account the fact that they're the president's daughters.

Admiral Yi

I think Jimmy C sent Amy to public school, but a swanky public school in upper Northwest, not Ragnorak High.

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on September 17, 2012, 09:26:23 PM
Douchebag eh? Hey, I understand that you as a Democrat will support the over bearing, incestuous relationship of Dems and Dem supported public sector unions, especially the powerful teacher's unions. Huge cash cow for your party, and a rather despicable system, as you'd surely realize if the same were going on for the Repubs.

The teachers unions clearly fail at politics.  They should have an incestuous relationship with both parties like Wall Street and big business do. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Valmy on September 26, 2012, 09:15:46 AM
Quote from: KRonn on September 17, 2012, 09:26:23 PM
Douchebag eh? Hey, I understand that you as a Democrat will support the over bearing, incestuous relationship of Dems and Dem supported public sector unions, especially the powerful teacher's unions. Huge cash cow for your party, and a rather despicable system, as you'd surely realize if the same were going on for the Repubs.

The teachers unions clearly fail at politics.  They should have an incestuous relationship with both parties like Wall Street and big business do. 
I don't see why not. The two parties often have incestuous relations with each other, why not with their financial backers too. It can be one big money orgy.
PDH!

Malthus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 26, 2012, 09:37:16 AM
I don't see why not. The two parties often have incestuous relations with each other, why not with their financial backers too. It can be one big money orgy.

I never get invited to money orgies.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on September 26, 2012, 10:10:54 AM
Have you tried just showing up? :P

Let me know when and where one is scheduled, and maybe I will.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on September 26, 2012, 10:13:02 AM

Malthus is Jewish, so the best he could do at a money orgy is itemized deductions.  :P

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 26, 2012, 10:16:16 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 26, 2012, 10:13:02 AM

Malthus is Jewish, so the best he could do at a money orgy is itemized deductions.  :P

I'd have thought being a Jew would have been a positive advantage in being invited to a money orgy. Cabals and all that.   ;)