RIP Andy Williams - Branson will never be the same

Started by merithyn, September 26, 2012, 09:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

:cry:

I love his music and loved watching his show on reruns when I was a kid.  :weep:

Singer Andy Williams Dead at 84

Quote(Reuters) - Crooner Andy Williams has died at age 84 at his home in Branson, Missouri, his family said on Wednesday.

Williams, who had been suffering from bladder cancer for a year, died on Tuesday evening, his family said in a statement.

Known for his hit renditions of "Moon River" and "Born Free," Williams hosted "The Andy Williams Show" on NBC for nearly a decade. The show then became an annual Christmas special.

Williams became entangled in a scandal when his ex-wife Claudine Longet was accused in 1976 of fatally shooting her lover, ski racer Spider Sabich.

The singer announced last year at an appearance at the Moon River Theater in Branson that he was suffering from cancer.

Williams, who grew up in Wall Lake, Iowa, made his professional singing debut at age 8 with his three brothers as part of the Williams Brothers Quartet.

Featured on radio stations nationwide, the brothers eventually drew the attention of Bing Crosby, who joined them to record the 1944 hit "Swinging on a Star."

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on September 26, 2012, 11:46:21 AM
Nelson's not going to be happy.   :(

:nelson:

That part in that Simpson's episode was so hilarious :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Scipio

I'm reminded of the economic collapse suffered in Bronson, MO when Chuck kicked it.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt