News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Colgan Air Flight 3407 crash update

Started by Caliga, May 13, 2009, 01:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

This didn't have to happen, as you guys are pointing out. The aircraft stalled, even had an auto device to lower the nose and increase airspeed in case the aircraft got close to a stall. But the pilot reacted wrong, and practicing stalls and recovery from them has to be something pilots train for a lot.

Also, the copilot was saying that she'd never flown in icing conditions, was untrained and/or was unfamiliar with the process. Have to wonder why she was flying in cold weather without proper training. Maybe this kind of thing happens a lot, and as long as one flight crew member was familiar with icing then that fits FAA regs? No idea on that.

Caliga

She must have practiced icing situations in the simulator, too, but her prior flying experience was mostly in the US southwest.  If you read the cockpit transcripts, IIRC the captain was bragging to her about how he was OSSUM at dealing with icing situations.  :lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Good bye, Colgan Air, you won't be missed.

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on May 13, 2009, 04:09:20 PM

The thing is that there are like dozens of other regional carriers that are exactly like Colgan.

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on May 13, 2009, 04:15:35 PM

The thing is that there are like dozens of other regional carriers that are exactly like Colgan.

But none of them crashed an airplane due to incredible incompetence, so they are fine. For now.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on May 13, 2009, 04:15:35 PM

Probably, but their shocking incompetence won't be in the news until they kill their own planeload of passengers.  This is starting to remind me of the Greek budget airline accident, where the plane was left unpressurized, and everyone was killed once the pilots ascended to a high altitude.

DGuller

That's the accident I talked about in the previous post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522 .  I guess people weren't killed when the plane ascended, they were killed when it descended into the mountain once everyone lost consciousness and the plane ran out of fuel.  Not only did the airline stop operating, but some fo their executives are facing criminal charges.

Siege

Quote from: Caliga on May 13, 2009, 02:34:31 PM
The co-pilot was pretty hot, too.  The pilot may have been distracted by this.  NO HOT CHICKS IN THE COCKPIT.  :mad:

Fat.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Caliga

Ed Anger

I don't Cal to be my wingman. He'll direct me to tubbos, uggos, and butterfaces.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 14, 2009, 07:06:53 AM
I don't Cal to be my wingman. He'll direct me to tubbos, uggos, and butterfaces.

:( I want to be your: Goose.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on May 14, 2009, 07:13:03 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 14, 2009, 07:06:53 AM

:( I want to be your: Goose.

Are you: Wedge Antilles or Porkins?

Caliga

Ed Anger

garbon

Hey, Cal, you can be my wingman, anyday! :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.