Started by Malthus, September 13, 2012, 12:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 14, 2012, 02:35:28 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on September 13, 2012, 02:53:05 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 13, 2012, 02:39:57 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on September 13, 2012, 01:39:26 PM
Poor Jupiterians.  :(
So should we. The Greek names sound a lot more badass.

Jovians  :smarty:

I don't think that Jupiterians are going to be that happy about this, no.

They actually refer to their planet as "Zeus".
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Neil on September 13, 2012, 08:13:01 PM
Quote from: KRonn on September 13, 2012, 08:10:41 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 13, 2012, 08:01:06 PM
Why so scary?  This is Jupiter performing its function.

Scary that it could happen to Earth.  :unsure:
Pretty unlikely.  Jupiter's gigantic gravity well works to protect you.
Will it still function when Jupiter is ignited into a sun
PDH!

Neil

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 14, 2012, 07:29:41 AM

If Jupiter's mass was increased enough for it to ignite, then it would be that much more effective.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

All these nerds are yours. Please.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on September 14, 2012, 07:44:34 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 14, 2012, 07:29:41 AM

If Jupiter's mass was increased enough for it to ignite, then it would be that much more effective.
If its mass increased that much the Earth would probably be flung out of the solar system into interstellar space.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 14, 2012, 09:19:47 PM
If it's mass increased that much the Earth would probably be flung out of the solar system into interstellar space.
Why would you think that?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on September 14, 2012, 09:31:16 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 14, 2012, 09:19:47 PM
If it's mass increased that much the Earth would probably be flung out of the solar system into interstellar space.
Why would you think that?

Cause he doesn't understand gravity?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

I certainly do understand gravity. Jupiter would have to be 13 times as massive to become a brown dwarf, 80 times as massive to become a red dwarf and actually ignite. If Jupiter became that massive it it would disrupt the orbits of every object in the solar system.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 14, 2012, 10:00:04 PM
I certainly do understand gravity. Jupiter would have to be 13 times as massive to become a brown dwarf, 80 times as massive to become a red dwarf and actually ignite. If Jupiter became that massive it it would disrupt the orbits of every object in the solar system.

Okay, but why would it fling planets out of the solar system?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2012, 10:01:52 PM

By providing extra energy.

I doubt that the Earth would get ejected, but there would definitely be a dangerous orbital shift.  Jupiter's pull on the Earth wouldn't be so bad, but the wobble it would put on the Sun would definitely change things.

Neil

Actually, I simulated it and the Earth gets thrown into a more distant orbit, but Mercury, Venus and the asteroid belt were ejected.

jimmy olsen

Download this and try.

http://www.orbitsimulator.com/gravity/articles/downloadagree.html

I made Jupiter 13 Jmasses. Mercury got ejected from the solar system about the year 9150

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on September 14, 2012, 10:47:42 PM
Actually, I simulated it and the Earth gets thrown into a more distant orbit,

Yay for carbon dioxide?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 14, 2012, 11:02:11 PM

Download this and try.

I made Jupiter 13 Jmasses. Mercury got ejected from the solar system about the year 9150

Okay, so the Earth is not thrown out solar system then.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2012, 12:13:28 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 14, 2012, 11:02:11 PM

Download this and try.

Okay, so the Earth is not thrown out solar system then.
The date is up to 52635 and Venus crosses the orbits of Earth and Mars, and Saturn was ejected from the solar system some time during the 40,000s while I was paying attention to the inner system. So the prospects for Earth don't look good.

Edit: 53470 Venus ejected.

1 Karma Chameleon point