News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Maginot Line & Associated Tactics

Started by alfred russel, September 14, 2012, 03:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Did the Germans actually employ super-long range weapons against the Maginot line?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on September 15, 2012, 08:16:31 AM
Did the Germans actually employ super-long range weapons against the Maginot line?

Yes, they sent the 7th Pz. Division to Paris to turn off the Maginot line.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on September 14, 2012, 05:09:17 PM
IIRC*, the upkeep costs of Maginot Line were enormous and cut into France's military budget, so I don't think you can claim the Line as success from the POV of imposing disproportional costs on the enemy.
And the associated defensive strategy really hurt French attempts to find allies in Central Europe and encircle Germany.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Hey, Shelf.  Hadn't seen you in a bit.  Glad you haven't left us.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

So here is my evolved thinking on this. Many of you know far more about the military stuff than I do, so feel free to poke holes in it.

The Maginot Line was developed with a WWI type conflict in mind. What was decisive in a WWI battle was being able to quickly move men and material into a sector and keeping effective command and control. The real strength of the Maginot Line was that you would have front line troops directly connected and supported by the french rail network--all the way to the firing line. Unlike the guns that obviously needed some exposure to fire, the rail network was deep underground and essentially immune from attack. If the Germans managed to take one of the forts, they would then have an isolated position having to be supported over exposed ground by truck or animals (as the forts had interlocking fire, this supply chain could also come under fire).

I think this is what made the line "impregnable", not the batteries built into the forts.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014