And we're back!

Main Menu

Reuters: US ambassador to Libya dead

Started by Martinus, September 12, 2012, 04:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 22, 2012, 11:14:09 AM
Quote from: Neil on September 22, 2012, 11:13:22 AM
Catholicism is somewhere in between the barbaric nature of Islam and proper, advanced religions like Protestantism.  But it's closer to civilization than not.

At least it believes in education, whereas neither Islam or Protestantism do not.

It believes in indoctrination.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

At least it believes in education, whereas neither Islam or Protestantism do not.

So reading the bible oneself doesn't lead to heretical thoughts anymore?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 22, 2012, 11:28:33 AM

Sola Scriptura

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 22, 2012, 11:28:33 AM

Only if it involves whipped cream.

Neil

Catholicism is somewhere in between the barbaric nature of Islam and proper, advanced religions like Protestantism.  But it's closer to civilization than not.
I wouldn't go that far.  After all, Catholic 'education' was devastating to Catholic Europe.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on September 22, 2012, 12:18:45 PM
I wouldn't go that far.  After all, Catholic 'education' was devastating to Catholic Europe.

Protestant ignorance has been devastating to the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

Protestant education and enlightenment was the torch that lead humanity out of the dark ages. :blink:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 22, 2012, 12:33:56 PM
Protestant ignorance has been devastating to the US.

Nah, America's done pretty well for herself.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jaron on September 22, 2012, 12:49:19 PM
Protestant education and enlightenment was the torch that lead humanity out of the dark ages. :blink:

I didn't know there were Protestants in the 11th century.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

In my opinion, the Dark Ages lasted until the Reformation. ;) The Catholic Church casts a long shadow.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on September 22, 2012, 11:17:50 AM
No. Please re-read what I said. Sheilbh says Suez happened too long ago to matter, I said, it should matter, see all these people obsessing about things that happened longer ago than suez. I am for fucking real, you, however, can't or won't read.
You should re-read what I said and the comparison I made. I think you've a point on Suez, but it happened a couple of generations ago and has been followed by forty years of support for authoritarianism. In addition the national myth about Suez emphasises the success of Arab nationalism over both Israel and the old colonial powers, given that both the US and USSR roles are not going to attract gratitude.

As I say it's like Britain and the war. It was a long time ago and our national myth, especially during the decline of Empire, is about 'very well then, alone'. A British view of the war covers the Blitz, the Battle of Britain and El-Alamein, not lend-lease. Because of that and because the war's rather wrapped up in British patriotism it's not a subject British people are likely to feel grateful about.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Jaron on September 22, 2012, 01:55:51 PM
In my opinion, the Dark Ages lasted until the Reformation. ;) The Catholic Church casts a long shadow.

Good thing you've moved on from teaching.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Has he though. I think he's angling to be on the faculty at BYU someday.

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 22, 2012, 03:39:42 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 22, 2012, 11:17:50 AM
No. Please re-read what I said. Sheilbh says Suez happened too long ago to matter, I said, it should matter, see all these people obsessing about things that happened longer ago than suez. I am for fucking real, you, however, can't or won't read.
You should re-read what I said and the comparison I made. I think you've a point on Suez, but it happened a couple of generations ago and has been followed by forty years of support for authoritarianism. In addition the national myth about Suez emphasises the success of Arab nationalism over both Israel and the old colonial powers, given that both the US and USSR roles are not going to attract gratitude.

So you are saying what is done and when doesn't matter the only thing that matters is how the arabs represent what happened and they will always represent it in the manner producing least cognitive dissonance. If so then we agree. The Egyptians should be fucking grateful for 1956; a british/french owned suez canal backed by israeli military force would have been a complete manifest disaster for egypt in general. If they are not it is because they don't know their own history. This is a people that thinks it won the 1973 war and pretends the 1967 one didn't happen.

But it seems we have a consensus. Country are rarely grateful for anything. As Fouad Ajami said of Hamid Karzai, "don't expect gratitude in the hindu kush".

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 22, 2012, 03:39:42 PM
As I say it's like Britain and the war. It was a long time ago and our national myth, especially during the decline of Empire, is about 'very well then, alone'. A British view of the war covers the Blitz, the Battle of Britain and El-Alamein, not lend-lease. Because of that and because the war's rather wrapped up in British patriotism it's not a subject British people are likely to feel grateful about.

The myth is what matters the truth doesn't. What the USA does or does not do is almost incidental since how it is portrayed that matters. The actions of the USA and Israel are always protrayed as evil as possible regardless of what they do. The US gets blamed for what the dictator does AND it gets blamed for trying to overthrow him. There are no good actions that would satisfy the arabs. The very nature of US power and wealth is in and of it self insulting.

Admiral Yi

"Support for authoritarian regimes" seems to consist for the most part of recognizing a state diplomatically and conducting commerce with them.  By that token every country in the world (that I know of) has been "supporting authoritarian regimes" in the Middle East.  Do the people there have a legitimate grievance with the whole world?  Do the people of Cuba have a legitimate grievance with the whole world except the US?