News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reuters: US ambassador to Libya dead

Started by Martinus, September 12, 2012, 04:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

I'm sad that the muslims in Laramie haven't rioted, haven't marched, haven't burned flags.  Instead they held an inter-faith panel with a priest and a rabbi and talked about tolerance and free speech.

Wyoming muslims must be fake.  Maybe it is because their center used to be a nice wooden church that the baptists moved out of (and into a huge pre-fab steel barn on the edge of town).
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

Quote from: dps on September 21, 2012, 12:11:05 AM
Well, if you want an example of a white American who converted to Islam who isn't obviously nuts and didn't reject Western value, I guess you could go with Lewis Arquette.  I admit that I really don't know anything about him, but if he was nuts, at least he wasn't spectacularly, publicly nuts like, say, Tom Cruise.

Gotta agree, though, that Cat Stevens is probably not a good example, because he does seem to have rejected a lot of Western values.

Pretty much all of them.  Him changing his name to Yusuf Islam was kind of a strong hint.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: PDH on September 21, 2012, 08:53:10 AM
I'm sad that the muslims in Laramie haven't rioted, haven't marched, haven't burned flags.  Instead they held an inter-faith panel with a priest and a rabbi and talked about tolerance and free speech.

Wyoming muslims must be fake.  Maybe it is because their center used to be a nice wooden church that the baptists moved out of (and into a huge pre-fab steel barn on the edge of town).

I think it's probably because they're surrounded by white people with gun racks on their pickups. Gives one pause.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

My buddy's muslim wife was barely aware any of it was going on.  But then again she eats bacon and ham-- as long as her mom's not around.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 21, 2012, 08:58:13 AM

I think it's probably because they're surrounded by white people with gun racks on their pickups. Gives one pause.

Is it possible to be surrounded by people in Wymoing? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

QuoteThe ad was plastered on San Francisco city buses in recent weeks, prompting some artists to deface the ads and remove some of the words, including "Jihad,"

I guess the author leaves it to the reader's intelligence to figure out that this leads the ad to read "Support Israel defeat", which is slightly more than just "removing words".

Quoteor holy war.

I guess this part was succesful as the ad does not seem to include "holy war" expression in it.  :huh:

PDH

Quote from: garbon on September 21, 2012, 09:10:36 AM
Is it possible to be surrounded by people in Wymoing? :huh:

As long as "surrounded" is loose.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Martinus

Considering Laramie is a place where locals crucify, stone and torture gays to death, it could also be that Muslims there feel at home and do not have significant differences with other creeds. :)

Edit: Also it's quite telling that Wyoming does not have legislation targetting anti-gay hate crimes to this day.

PDH

Quote from: Martinus on September 21, 2012, 09:30:40 AM

Considering Laramie is a place where locals crucify, stone and torture gays to death, it could also be that Muslims there feel at home and do not have significant differences with other creeds. :)

Edit: Also it's quite telling that Wyoming does not have legislation targetting anti-gay hate crimes to this day.

You said "gays..." I am sure that the one incident has been replayed a number of times in your mind, but I fail to see how that is a horrible incident that happened to more than one person.

Oh wait, it didn't.  You are just a troll.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 21, 2012, 09:22:58 AM
I guess this part was succesful as the ad does not seem to include "holy war" expression in it.  :huh:

Do you know how to read? It's pretty clear that the holy war bit was a translation of Jihad.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

He knows but this isn't a gay issue so he's trying to cope.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on September 21, 2012, 09:38:08 AM

Do you know how to read? It's pretty clear that the holy war bit was a translation of Jihad.

Sorry, didn't realize the author was writing for retards who do not know that.  :huh:

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 21, 2012, 09:42:18 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 21, 2012, 09:38:08 AM

Sorry, didn't realize the author was writing for retards who do not know that.  :huh:

Not everyone is so well versed in Islamic culture as you. :)

Sheilbh

So today 30-50 000 Libyans (in Benghazi alone) marched against extremism and for a unified government. They then stormed a jihadi camp, which they proceeded to burn down. All in retaliation for the killing of an American ambassador. I continue to find Libya extraordinarily surprising.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.