News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reuters: US ambassador to Libya dead

Started by Martinus, September 12, 2012, 04:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 19, 2012, 06:29:32 AM
French decide on solidarity with America, elect to get bombed too.

QuoteFrance shutters embassies, schools over new Muhammad cartoon
By NBC News' Nancy Ing and wire reports

Salafist Muslims in Paris has already called for a protest this Saturday at Trocadero, near the Eiffel Tower, against the California-made film.

A small group of about 100 were prevented by riot police from approaching the US Embassy in the center of Paris last Saturday.

French authorities have refused to authorize any demonstration.

French Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault said the authorities had rejected a request to hold a march.

"There is no reason for us to allow conflicts that do not concern France to enter our country,'' Ayrault told RTL radio.

I was in Paris during that weekend :)
Actually, that demonstration approaching the US embassy near the Champs-Elysées and the Élysée palace, was more like 250 people from which 2/3 got arrested (very high ratio!) for ID checking then fined. Four cops were slightly injured as well.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on September 19, 2012, 03:18:18 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 19, 2012, 03:13:04 PM
No one becomes Muslim who doesn't reject Western culture.

I find that hard to believe.

All you need to disprove that is showing one westerner that converts and doesn't adopt the trappings of arab or muslim culture.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on September 19, 2012, 04:32:18 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 19, 2012, 03:18:18 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 19, 2012, 03:13:04 PM
No one becomes Muslim who doesn't reject Western culture.

I find that hard to believe.

All you need to disprove that is showing one westerner that converts and doesn't adopt the trappings of arab or muslim culture.

I'll make that a priority.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Actually, I forgot how wikipedia likes to list things: Muhammad Ali, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Dave Chappelle are pretty Western, no?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

Viking

Quote from: Solmyr on September 19, 2012, 04:45:13 PM
They aren't real Muslims.

You can make that case for Muhammed Ali and Abdul Jabbar since arguably Nation of Islam is to Islam what Mormonism is to christianity. But, Dave Chapelle is the real thing. In keeping his religion personal and private he exemplifies the ideal of the western religious person. Q.E.D. The Brain is wrong and garbon is right.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

I think Ali became an orthodox Sunni didn't he?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Dave Chappelle is Muslim?  :huh:

Is ganja halal?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 19, 2012, 05:21:22 PM
Dave Chappelle is Muslim?  :huh:

Is ganja halal?

Allegedly. You can find him roaming the county I live in.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on September 19, 2012, 05:21:00 PM
I think Ali became an orthodox Sunni didn't he?

I think they both went orthodox eventually on paper. That still doesn't change the fact that they got in through a political organization. The NOI just muddles the who issue making it less clear cut than Chapelle.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on September 19, 2012, 04:36:22 PM
Actually, I forgot how wikipedia likes to list things: Muhammad Ali, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Dave Chappelle are pretty Western, no?

Cat Stevens jumps to mind as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

Quote from: Viking on September 19, 2012, 05:13:29 PM

You can make that case for Muhammed Ali and Abdul Jabbar since arguably Nation of Islam is to Islam what Mormonism is to christianity. But, Dave Chapelle is the real thing. In keeping his religion personal and private he exemplifies the ideal of the western religious person. Q.E.D. The Brain is wrong and garbon is right.

Isn't keeping it personal and private pretty much impossible in Islam? It is such a pervasive force in all aspects of private and public life, it's as much a political ideology as a religion. It pretty much started politically, in contrast to Christianity which only acquired political aspects later on.

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on September 19, 2012, 05:56:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 19, 2012, 04:36:22 PM

Cat Stevens jumps to mind as well.

You don't count as westernized when you look more like Osama Bin Laden than you do like Frank Zappa and you call for the death of Salman Rushdie.

Viking

Quote from: Solmyr on September 19, 2012, 05:59:39 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 19, 2012, 05:13:29 PM

Isn't keeping it personal and private pretty much impossible in Islam? It is such a pervasive force in all aspects of private and public life, it's as much a political ideology as a religion. It pretty much started politically, in contrast to Christianity which only acquired political aspects later on.

I think Chapelle proves you can keep it personal and private. Naturally this requires quite a bit more theological acrobatics than killing westerners, but still it is possible and that was garbon's claim. There are lots of cultural muslims that manage to westernize.

Eddie Teach

Islam isn't a rejection of Western black culture. I think you need to look again.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?