News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

25 years old and deep in debt

Started by CountDeMoney, September 10, 2012, 10:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on September 13, 2014, 08:52:16 AM
So, I don't agree that a double-major is some kind of good idea.  Sorry, I'm very tired so my thoughts are a little disorganized.

Why would it hurt though?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 13, 2014, 06:27:35 AM
Quote from: Berkut on September 13, 2014, 01:48:46 AM

Given that last month he sent 36,240 text messages, not much at all, apparently.

I sincerely doubt I will have sent that many by the time I die.
Well, Berkut Jr. can definitely forget about being a surgeon.

Jacob

So, I don't agree that a double-major is some kind of good idea.  Sorry, I'm very tired so my thoughts are a little disorganized.

If you had studies your classics more you'd likely be able to organize your thoughts better.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2014, 09:01:37 AM
What academic career path prepares one for, say, inland marine insurance sales?

None, which is why post high school education should be completely irrelevant in that field.

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on September 13, 2014, 08:50:37 AM
The classics are a hobby, not a career path.  At least majoring in, say, film, gives you technical skills that you may be able to bring to a real, extant industry.  It's an old joke, but how many classics firms are hiring?  In what fashion does being able to quote Aeschylus make you a more marketable person?  In a related vein, for what reason do you need to pay somebody to read Aeschylus, anyway?  These are reasonable questions but for the humanities-industrial complex (and a not inconsiderable cross-section of Languish) you'd think they were on par with asking why it's ill-considered to rape babies or something.

It's a well known fact that no-one had careers in game design before colleges started offering game design degrees.

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on September 13, 2014, 10:16:17 AM

If you had studies your classics more you'd likely be able to organize your thoughts better.
:yes: His rants about his inability to find gainful employment would be 27% more clear and 12% more concise.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on September 13, 2014, 10:25:42 AM
Quote from: Jacob on September 13, 2014, 10:16:17 AM

:yes: His rants about his inability to find gainful employment would be 27% more clear and 12% more concise.

:lol:

Ideologue

I studied the classics to my satisfaction on my own time and my own dime.  It was faster and cheaper. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 13, 2014, 10:17:15 AM

None, which is why post high school education should be completely irrelevant in that field.

Then why require a college diploma as an employer? 

All you football-fucking monkeys are blaming higher education for the irrelevancy of their degrees, when you should be turning your lonely eyes at the employers that demand them as a mandatory minimum requirement.

Ideologue

Why blame employers when it was the higher education industry who devalued the degrees by overproducing them?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Not that employers can't be blamed for an awful lot, obviously.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on September 13, 2014, 05:35:19 PM
Why blame employers when it was the higher education industry who devalued the degrees by overproducing them?

They didn't overproduce degrees, they overproduced graduates.  You want to blame somebody, blame breeders like Ed, who's going to send two lines' worth of Toronto Maple Leafs to fucking college.  The degrees aren't the problem, parents are.

Tonitrus

Or the olds aren't dying off fast enough anymore.  :P

mongers

I don't know why, but with this thread I get this distinct feeling of déjà vu , like we've been over some of this ground before.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ideologue on September 13, 2014, 05:35:19 PM

Their "requirements" are inflating the demand for them. It's one of the main contributors to the problem, IMO.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers