25 years old and deep in debt

Started by CountDeMoney, September 10, 2012, 10:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2012, 11:51:28 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 10, 2012, 11:39:23 PM
Quote from: katmai on September 10, 2012, 11:24:30 PM
Not all of us can be half Indian geniuses Garbon :weep:

That's why I was suggesting it wasn't all her fault as a late teen/early 20-something. Adults in her life (up to including said adults that authorized a loan) should have served her better and it is a shame that they didn't.

I dunno man.  I was pretty cautious about accumulating student debt, and graduated with maybe 5% of her debt (with two degrees!).  IT not exactlt rocket science to know that owing $200k is very, very bad.

She had a co-signer, so at the very least that person is complicit.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2012, 11:51:28 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 10, 2012, 11:39:23 PM
Quote from: katmai on September 10, 2012, 11:24:30 PM
Not all of us can be half Indian geniuses Garbon :weep:

That's why I was suggesting it wasn't all her fault as a late teen/early 20-something. Adults in her life (up to including said adults that authorized a loan) should have served her better and it is a shame that they didn't.

I dunno man.  I was pretty cautious about accumulating student debt, and graduated with maybe 5% of her debt (with two degrees!).  IT not exactlt rocket science to know that owing $200k is very, very bad.

Good thing you A)live in Canada and B)graduated from law school like fifteen years ago. ;)

Things have changed radically.  Tuition has exploded over the past decade.  (Not just at law schools, but also for undergraduate programs.)  $188k is still pretty extreme, but it's not that far out of line for someone debt-financing undergrad and a grad/professional degree.

I mean, South Carolina is one of the cheaper law schools in the country, and it's still like $20k a year.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

I'm not that old.  I graduated from law school 12 years ago. :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

Nevermind my math was off, I may correct it later.

Caliga

Heh, I know at least one of the people who commented on her article. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Gups

What's the interest rate on one of these loans?

Josquius

that is a crazy amount of loan money.  I should have taken a lot more than I did, then I could have done just what I wanted and perhaps been in a better position now. I couldn't imagine topping 10,000 though. That's some damn pricey tuition.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 10, 2012, 11:58:07 PM
She had a co-signer, so at the very least that person is complicit.

So Mommy and/or Daddy are along for the ride as well.

sbr

Quote from: Tyr on September 11, 2012, 05:55:24 AM
that is a crazy amount of loan money.  I should have taken a lot more than I did, then I could have done just what I wanted and perhaps been in a better position now. I couldn't imagine topping 10,000 though. That's some damn pricey tuition.

It's a bit high but not too far off normal for here.

My daughter is going to a public university here as an in-state resident.  The estimated cost for this year is almost $20K.  That includes things besides tution like room and board, books and some incidental spending money but all of that can get covered by financial aid loans.

Valmy

:wacko:  Go get two-years of Community College while working then transfer to a four year and use your high GPA to get a scholarship or only take two years of debt.  For Godsake it is not like this is a rare and untrodden path to get a cheap degree.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2012, 08:20:27 AM
:wacko:  Go get two-years of Community College while working then transfer to a four year and use your high GPA to get a scholarship or only take two years of debt.  For Godsake it is not like this is a rare and untrodden path to get a cheap degree.

Worked for me.  Once I got my AA, I got into every university I applied to, and managed to skip the undergrad gen-ed requirements to boot.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2012, 08:20:27 AM

Indeed though I have to say that they never talked about that method at my high school.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

I am 28 years old & I have no student debt.

God Save the Queen.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PDH

Stupid girl.  She should have lived in Wyoming then attended the University.  Tuition is only $4300.00 a year for instate, and many students get half of that paid for by an education trust fund.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: PDH on September 11, 2012, 08:34:05 AM
Stupid girl.  She should have lived in Wyoming then attended the University.  Tuition is only $4300.00 a year for instate, and many students get half of that paid for by an education trust fund.

Of course, there's the whole negative that she would have had to live in Wyoming which sounds rough even for a professed Cincinnatian.