Forget the F-35 - should Canada re-develop the Avro Arrow

Started by Barrister, September 10, 2012, 11:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 07, 2012, 01:33:07 PM
:yeah:

Boats, Boats! Ships! Destroyer! Icebreakers! Nuclear Power!

They're still going to be buying planes. :rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Of course, but they will be cheaper. What are the alternatives? Mirages?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 07, 2012, 01:48:21 PM
Of course, but they will be cheaper. What are the alternatives? Mirages?

Alternatives:

F-22 - though it isn't actually available for sale outside of the US, but maybe we can get them to make an exception.  Plus it isn't currently being manufactured.

F-18 Super Hornet - the modern version of the existing plane.  Nice and affordable, but not stealthy.

Eurofighter - I think the problem is lack of ground attack capability

SAAB Grippen - again not stealthy

Dassault Rafale - not sure about

Neil

What's the point?  A single dreadnought battleship would be far more useful for the purposes that Canada wants these planes for.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on December 07, 2012, 01:56:36 PM
Alternatives:

F-22 - though it isn't actually available for sale outside of the US, but maybe we can get them to make an exception.  Plus it isn't currently being manufactured.

F-18 Super Hornet - the modern version of the existing plane.  Nice and affordable, but not stealthy.

Really, though;  does Canada need stealth?   That's our gig.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 07, 2012, 02:33:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 07, 2012, 01:56:36 PM
Alternatives:

Really, though;  does Canada need stealth?   That's our gig.

And aren't you guys always whining about how other nations can't hold their own weight?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on December 07, 2012, 02:35:04 PM
And aren't you guys always whining about how other nations can't hold their own weight?

Troops on the ground to absorb IEDs are one thing, flying Canuckistanis are another.

You want to help out?  Buy some Hercules and Starlifters and help out with the air train.  Leave the real shit for the pros.

Grey Fox

We don't need Stealth planes, we're never going to be in an operation without the US Navy having bombed the opposition air defenses to smitherines.

CountDeMoney

Exactly.  Short of jumping back in time to West Germany, Canadian air assets would not be used in the first echelon of any major conflict with a power that would require stealth technology.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 07, 2012, 02:38:48 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 07, 2012, 02:35:04 PM

Troops on the ground to absorb IEDs are one thing, flying Canuckistanis are another.

You want to help out?  Buy some Hercules and Starlifters and help out with the air train.  Leave the real shit for the pros.

Get with the times, Money.  We have had Hercs for decades.

And while in the early aughts we had a dearth of heavy lifting capability, we have subsequently purchased some C-17 Globemasters (which are, you know, the successor to the Starlifter).

You can just go back in this very thread for why stealth would be important.  Even going to war against second or third rate powers means going up against anti-aircraft radar and missiles.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 07, 2012, 02:44:47 PM
We don't need Stealth planes, we're never going to be in an operation without the US Navy having bombed the opposition air defenses to smitherines.

When the Great War of Albertan Independence starts you will wish you had them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

You might have the wrong impression on who's side Quebec will take. ;)

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on December 07, 2012, 02:55:10 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 07, 2012, 02:44:47 PM

When the Great War of Albertan Independence starts you will wish you had them.

Why do we need independence?  We now rules this country, both economically and politically.   :cool:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on December 07, 2012, 02:54:18 PM
Get with the times, Money.  We have had Hercs for decades.

And while in the early aughts we had a dearth of heavy lifting capability, we have subsequently purchased some C-17 Globemasters (which are, you know, the successor to the Starlifter).

Buy more, then.

QuoteYou can just go back in this very thread for why stealth would be important.  Even going to war against second or third rate powers means going up against anti-aircraft radar and missiles.

I can appreciate your patriotism, BB, but you're wading into "technology searching for a mission" waters with this argument.

There is no compelling need for Canadian air assets to possess stealth technology.  Outside of little shitty countries going at each other, the dogfighting days are over, and any defenses in a theater that Canadian air assets would operate in--by the time they got there, if the government didn't pussy out in participation to begin with--would be substantially degraded by witnessing the firepower of the fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle stations of the United States Navy and Chair Force.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on December 07, 2012, 02:57:09 PM
Why do we need independence?  We now rules this country, both economically and politically.   :cool:

To keep all your oil from leeching commies in British Columbia and Ontario of course.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."