Forget the F-35 - should Canada re-develop the Avro Arrow

Started by Barrister, September 10, 2012, 11:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2012, 10:57:52 AM
And it is important to try and make some kind of assessment about how much "better" the F-35 is compared to the Super Hornet, because the costs are dramatically different.  According to wiki (I know, I know, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time researching this) the Super Hornet has a per-unit cost of $67 million, while the estimates for the F-35 are $195 to $236 million (depending on model).  Thats three to four times the cost.  You don't want to have a situation where we have the finest aircraft going, but too few of them to actually make any difference.

I think that the F-35 costing twice as much per plane of a flyaway basis is probably the better yardstick.  The $236 million isn't flyaway cost, and the $195 flyaway cost is for early/small production run aircraft, which Canada won't be in on.

I don't know how maintenance cost/year/plane is going to shake out between the two birds, but the F-35 is almost certainly going to cost more, because of the cost to maintain its stealth coating.

So, cost-effectiveness is a real issue.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 12, 2012, 12:48:24 PM
If we change airplanes right now, whatever r&d costs we sunk in the F-35 program, we lose it. If we buy a plane built elsewhere in the world, aside security risks of buying a Russian or Chinese aircraft, we have to consider the jobs we lose by not going forward.

Now, the costs for the F-35 seems to be rising a tad.  But maybe there's something to do about it.

Nobody is talking about buying russian or chinese aircraft.  If we were going to get crazy we might buy French or Swedish jets, but thats about it (I think the Eurofighter isn't suitable because it lacks ground attack capabilities, but that could be wrong).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

If we change airplanes right now, whatever r&d costs we sunk in the F-35 program, we lose it.

Canada cannot recover sunk costs no matter what the decision, so should ignore sunk costs in making the decision.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on September 12, 2012, 12:59:37 PM
If we change airplanes right now, whatever r&d costs we sunk in the F-35 program, we lose it.

Canada cannot recover sunk costs no matter what the decision, so should ignore sunk costs in making the decision.

Yeah, Canada should just bite the bullet and buy the latest expansion of WiF.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

Quote from: mongers on September 12, 2012, 02:15:10 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 12, 2012, 12:59:37 PM

Yeah, Canada should just bite the bullet and buy the latest expansion of WiF.

Khaki in Flames  :nerd: :licklips:

all those black on blue CW Ships will now be legible.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2012, 12:59:20 PM
Nobody is talking about buying russian or chinese aircraft.
you'd be surprised...  Muclair seems to have more than a few brain cells active, but I can't say the same for his supporters.

If we were going to get crazy we might buy French or Swedish jets, but thats about it (I think the Eurofighter isn't suitable because it lacks ground attack capabilities, but that could be wrong).
Imho, the Rafale wouldn't be suitable for Canada's need, but I might be wrong.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Canada should just get some good rifles and decent bayonets and be done with it; it's what they do best. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Quote from: mongers on September 12, 2012, 05:23:11 PM
Canada should just get some good rifles and decent bayonets and be done with it; it's what they do best.

And sniper rifles. Princess Pat snipers. :wub:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2012, 02:28:25 PM
Khaki in Flames  :nerd: :licklips:

all those black on blue CW Ships will now be legible.

Should've done that years ago.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

:yeah:

Boats, Boats! Ships! Destroyer! Icebreakers! Nuclear Power!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.