Forget the F-35 - should Canada re-develop the Avro Arrow

Started by Barrister, September 10, 2012, 11:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Neil on September 11, 2012, 07:00:21 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 11, 2012, 06:52:08 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 11, 2012, 06:49:48 PM
If protecting our sovereignty is so important, wouldn't it make sense to arm ourselves with nuclear weapons?  After all, our two greatest threats are nuclear powers.

what? Denmark is a nuclear power? Hansø er Dansk!
The Danes aren't a risk to try and conquer all of Northern Canada.  Scandinavians are notorious cowards.

The Russians and Americans are another story.

you think russia is a threat?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jacob

Quote from: Viking on September 11, 2012, 07:04:20 PMyou think russia is a threat?

Well, according to Romney they're the US' #1 geopolitical threat and since we're on Team USA, that makes them a threat to us as well.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on September 11, 2012, 07:04:20 PM
If protecting our sovereignty is so important, wouldn't it make sense to arm ourselves with nuclear weapons?  After all, our two greatest threats are nuclear powers.

The Danes aren't a risk to try and conquer all of Northern Canada.  Scandinavians are notorious cowards.

You never know what sor of nonsense those fuckers will try around the Pole.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Berkut

I think what Beeb does not realize is that the ability of aircraft like the F-35 to operate in a high threat environment isn't really linear - it isn't twice as effective as the alternative, or half as vulnerable.

The reason that nations other than the US cannot engage a country even as shitty as Libya is that while they may have first line aircraft, they do not have the integrated air combat capability to go into a multi-threat environment and shut it down.

Beebs might say "Hey, we have CF-18s, those are pretty much as good as US first line aircraft, so we should be able to do the same things they can do, even if at a smaller scale, right?"

But that isn't so - the reason Canada cannot take on Libya in that first set of strikes is that Canada likely lacks the set of tools to suppress multiple and multi-dimensional threats. So their CF-18s can go in and bomb stuff as well as any US plane...but only once the SEAD mission has been successfully completed. Because they don't have the jammers, radar killers, AWACS, and all that OTHER shit that is needed.

So something like the F-35 is more than just a better fighter bomber. Stealth means more than that - it means the ability to go in and hit stuff WITHOUT needing the billions of additional dollars worth of *other* aircraft and assets necessary to penetrate even crappy air defense networks.

That is why I would think something like the F_35 is even more valuable to a country like Canada than it is to the US.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

Quote from: Neil on September 11, 2012, 08:30:47 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 11, 2012, 07:04:20 PM

You never know what sor of nonsense those fuckers will try around the Pole.

But should the Canadian government really be all that concerned about what the Ruskies do around Marti?

;)

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on September 11, 2012, 01:02:29 PM
Just curious:  what thread did you think you were in when writing this response?  'Cause you sure aren't saying anything that seems relevant to this thread.
duh?

If we keep the CF-18 without replacing it, because that is the issue being discussed by the left, that we don't need planes for a "warmongering country", they will require more&more maintenance.

Of course, they say "oh, but we don't need a Cadillac, we can have cheaper airplanes that will do just as well."   This is exactly the same thinking the Liberals had in the early 1990s (1993).  And it endup costings us billions of $ more than the original plan.  And we had to redesign our frigates/helicopter carriers twice in 12 years to accomodate the new models, wich prove inefficient and ill adapted to our needs.  And we still don't have our helicopters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CH-124_Sea_King

So, this is very relevant to this thread when someone says we don't need the F-35.  It is not about the Arrow, but it is still relevant to the procurement of newer and better planes.

Despite the costs, I believe the F-35 is the best of the new airplanes we can get due to stealth technology and its longer range of operations without refueling.  If I'm correct, we can cross the Atlantic without refueling, so that's a big plus in costs reduction.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

It pisses me off that there's no left pro-military camp.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on September 11, 2012, 10:24:29 PM
I think what Beeb does not realize is that the ability of aircraft like the F-35 to operate in a high threat environment isn't really linear - it isn't twice as effective as the alternative, or half as vulnerable.

The reason that nations other than the US cannot engage a country even as shitty as Libya is that while they may have first line aircraft, they do not have the integrated air combat capability to go into a multi-threat environment and shut it down.

Beebs might say "Hey, we have CF-18s, those are pretty much as good as US first line aircraft, so we should be able to do the same things they can do, even if at a smaller scale, right?"

But that isn't so - the reason Canada cannot take on Libya in that first set of strikes is that Canada likely lacks the set of tools to suppress multiple and multi-dimensional threats. So their CF-18s can go in and bomb stuff as well as any US plane...but only once the SEAD mission has been successfully completed. Because they don't have the jammers, radar killers, AWACS, and all that OTHER shit that is needed.

So something like the F-35 is more than just a better fighter bomber. Stealth means more than that - it means the ability to go in and hit stuff WITHOUT needing the billions of additional dollars worth of *other* aircraft and assets necessary to penetrate even crappy air defense networks.

That is why I would think something like the F_35 is even more valuable to a country like Canada than it is to the US.

I'm not discussing just keeping our 30 year old current fleet of CF-18s (which are F-18A/Bs which have been upgraded over the years to F-18 C/Ds), but purchasing the current F-18E/F, which is a whole new airframe (though based on the earlier models).   It would have modern and up to date electronics, weaponry and engines.

It's more stealthy than our current planes, but no it doe not qualify as a 'stealth' aircraft.  So it does lose that on the F-35.  I think it might be less manouverable, though still a match for any other aircraft in the skies.

And it is important to try and make some kind of assessment about how much "better" the F-35 is compared to the Super Hornet, because the costs are dramatically different.  According to wiki (I know, I know, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time researching this) the Super Hornet has a per-unit cost of $67 million, while the estimates for the F-35 are $195 to $236 million (depending on model).  Thats three to four times the cost.  You don't want to have a situation where we have the finest aircraft going, but too few of them to actually make any difference.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 12, 2012, 10:44:59 AM

It's because the left is dumb.

Join the right.  You know you want to.  You work, support your family and your military - you're 90% there.  Join with Stephen Harper and together we shall have Peace, Order and Good Government.  :cool:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2012, 10:59:13 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 12, 2012, 10:44:59 AM

It's because the left is dumb.

Join the right.  You know you want to.  You work, support your family and your military - you're 90% there.  Join with Stephen Harper and together we shall have Peace, Order and Good Government.  :cool:

That's impossible. Especially not the "let's give Oil cies money while we cut CBC funding" Harper government. Encouraging big private enterprises :x:

Barrister

Oh yes - mustn't encourage big private enterprises.  When was the last time they ever did anything for us? :shakeshead:

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on September 12, 2012, 10:36:22 AM
duh?

If we keep the CF-18 without replacing it, because that is the issue being discussed by the left, that we don't need planes for a "warmongering country", they will require more&more maintenance.

Duh?  Who is talking about keeping the current-generation CF-18s?

QuoteOf course, they say "oh, but we don't need a Cadillac, we can have cheaper airplanes that will do just as well."   This is exactly the same thinking the Liberals had in the early 1990s (1993).  And it endup costings us billions of $ more than the original plan.  And we had to redesign our frigates/helicopter carriers twice in 12 years to accomodate the new models, wich prove inefficient and ill adapted to our needs.  And we still don't have our helicopters.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CH-124_Sea_King
Not sure what the argument is, here.  The 1993 decision was to not buy any new helicopters at all, not to buy cheaper helicopters.  I don't understand the comment about redesigning helicopter carriers twice.  Canada doesn't have any helicopter carriers.  The ships that will operate the CH-148 are the same as the ones that operated the CH-124. 

QuoteSo, this is very relevant to this thread when someone says we don't need the F-35.  It is not about the Arrow, but it is still relevant to the procurement of newer and better planes.
I don't see any relevance whatever.  It may have some relevance if the false portion of your argument were true, perhaps, but the question of what follow-on strike fighter the Canadian air force should buy isn't much related to the decision on when and how to replace the Sea King.

QuoteDespite the costs, I believe the F-35 is the best of the new airplanes we can get due to stealth technology and its longer range of operations without refueling.  If I'm correct, we can cross the Atlantic without refueling, so that's a big plus in costs reduction.
I don't think that there is any doubt that the F-35 is the best plane under consideration.  The question is whether it is the most cost-effective, which is a completely different question.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

If we change airplanes right now, whatever r&d costs we sunk in the F-35 program, we lose it. If we buy a plane built elsewhere in the world, aside security risks of buying a Russian or Chinese aircraft, we have to consider the jobs we lose by not going forward.

Now, the costs for the F-35 seems to be rising a tad.  But maybe there's something to do about it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.