And we're back!

Main Menu

Question About 4-Way Stop Courtesy

Started by Admiral Yi, September 06, 2012, 05:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Maximus on September 06, 2012, 09:19:50 PM
Some places outside of Quebec people actually stop at stop signs.

:lol: Yeah, I assume Yi meant all cars were stopped. If car 1 is already in the intersection when you pull to a stop, then you wait for car 2.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 06, 2012, 07:33:35 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 06, 2012, 07:29:44 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on September 06, 2012, 07:23:37 PM
Magic roundabout?!  :lol:

iirc that was the name the locals gave it, when it became a national joke/point of interest, the bureaucrats eventually relented and that's it's official name.

You English are amazing  :lol:

There's an area in Winnipeg where 5 fairly major roads all converge in the same area.  It got nicknamed "Confusion Corner", and picked up to the point where a neighboring business is now called the "Confusion Corner Bar and Grill".

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=winnipeg+manitoba&hl=en&ll=49.874314,-97.142015&spn=0.003177,0.005289&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=62.74193,86.660156&hnear=Winnipeg,+Division+No.+11,+Manitoba,+Canada&t=m&z=18
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

There is a five-street roundabout in Sparks that they are considering taking out because idiot drivers get confused. It's easy. People are stupid. The cops have done a study on it and the biggest problems are apparently people stopping at yield signs as though they were stop signs and people ignoring the fact that the roundabout has multiple lanes in the circle.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on September 06, 2012, 07:12:05 PM

:bowler:
WTF...thought it was a photoshop till I read the rest of the thread.
Why does that monstrosity exist?
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on September 06, 2012, 11:46:23 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 06, 2012, 07:12:05 PM

:bowler:
WTF...thought it was a photoshop till I read the rest of the thread.
Why does that monstrosity exist?

Because overall, roundabouts are a good way of improving traffic flow and this one is just at the extreme end of the development.

Tyr you should also know there, are others like it elsewhere; rumoured to be at least another two, one of which maybe even more complicated.   :ph34r:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

roundabouts are good. But tiered roundabouts like that? I don't get how it would be any easier than just having the one big roundabout.
Looks confusing...
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

On smaller, remote two-lane road intersections, I think roundabouts are awesome, even if just to avoid the "waiting at a red light when you're the only car there" factor, or pointless stop signs.  But these multi-tiered roundabouts for massive intersections is probably worse than a standard intersection.