The DNC KenyanCommieMooselimbDidn'tBuildIt MegaThread!

Started by CountDeMoney, September 03, 2012, 10:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2012, 05:29:05 PMAgreed, they don't scale linearly and there is a redistributive element.  But that just compounds my existing argument; Social Security redistributes money from the top of the income distribution to the bottom.

... and that is bad because? Society is better off if poor people too old to work cannot pay for food, housing, medicine and care?

QuoteThere is also a gigantic redistributive component from singles to marrieds, but that's a whole nuther discussion.

I don't think your allies in the religious right are going to want that to change.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on September 06, 2012, 09:28:33 AM
I say 200.5k
That's good enough to keep him where he's at now (in a slight lead), not good enough to improve it.

EDIT: And it turns out reading further into the thread that it was only 96k. Not nearly good enough.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on September 08, 2012, 10:26:20 PM
Ah, I think I see the disconnect.

You seem obsessed with dividing everything into "givers" and "takers" as some sort of moral imperative. That's not the point. The point is to participate in the system by both giving and taking as appropriate, and thus both prosper and ensure that others have the best chance of prospering as well. It's about making sure that society as a whole prospers by doing your share when you can, and knowing that others will do theirs when you cannot. It's not about tallying up plusses and minuses in columns and making sure they balance out on an individual basis.

Of course.  And that's what this discussion is about: what is the situation in which it is appropriate to give, and which it is appropriate to take.

I think only half the people giving is inappropriate.  Others might think it would be appropriate that only 1% give, and about half take.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on September 08, 2012, 10:29:30 PM
... and that is bad because? Society is better off if poor people too old to work cannot pay for food, housing, medicine and care?

It's good for the reason all redistributive policies are good: it channels money to people who need it the most.

It's bad for the reason all redistributive policies are bad: it disincentivizes work and saving.

QuoteI don't think your allies in the religious right are going to want that to change.

Don't join the retards Jake.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on September 08, 2012, 09:38:16 PM
SS transfers wealth from the young to the old more than it does from the rich to the poor.

Yes and generally the young are poorer than the rich so in fact it does just the opposite.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2012, 11:14:20 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 08, 2012, 10:29:30 PM

It's good for the reason all redistributive policies are good: it channels money to people who need it the most.

It's bad for the reason all redistributive policies are bad: it disincentivizes work and saving.

QuoteI don't think your allies in the religious right are going to want that to change.

Don't join the retards Jake.

Okay and okay.

For a discussion triggered by a response to an offhand comment about cheese, it seems like you're deliberately driving at a very specific point. I'm not quite sure what it is, however.

You're not interested in playing the usual languish partisan posture games it seems; which is cool.

Do you have some notions about what the ideal balance of redistribution in today's America, how this balance may be changed depending on the outcome of the upcoming election, and consequently which candidates are to be preferred?

Is it part of the scrum where we define or redefine what Obama meant by the concept of "citizenship" as part of a semi-partisan attempts to shape the debate (which the conversation started IMO)? If so, what's your play?

Are you primarily interested in refining a common set of definitions, vocabulary and understandings of economical process when we speak of various redistribution approaches as a precursor to a more practical discussion?

Where are you going Yi?

Admiral Yi

I'm interested in a system that broadly distributes the tax burden so that discussions about spending are on the terms of "do we as a people want this and are we as a people willing to pay for it."  I'm afraid of a Roman system in which "we" tax "those people over there" and then fight over the best seats in the Colliseum.

Razgovory

Is "disincentivizing work" actually a problem in the US?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

Quote from: Razgovory on September 09, 2012, 02:58:16 AM
Is "disincentivizing work" actually a problem in the US?

It's nearly as bad as fraud and corruption.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2012, 11:03:27 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 08, 2012, 10:26:20 PM
Ah, I think I see the disconnect.

You seem obsessed with dividing everything into "givers" and "takers" as some sort of moral imperative. That's not the point. The point is to participate in the system by both giving and taking as appropriate, and thus both prosper and ensure that others have the best chance of prospering as well. It's about making sure that society as a whole prospers by doing your share when you can, and knowing that others will do theirs when you cannot. It's not about tallying up plusses and minuses in columns and making sure they balance out on an individual basis.

Of course.  And that's what this discussion is about: what is the situation in which it is appropriate to give, and which it is appropriate to take.

I think only half the people giving is inappropriate.  Others might think it would be appropriate that only 1% give, and about half take.

You are still going with the "half don't pay taxes thing"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on September 08, 2012, 12:23:39 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 08, 2012, 11:37:53 AM
Disabled people getting away with crimes? :huh:

Disabled people cannot commit crimes? :huh:

Doubtful to the extent that it is a compelling reason for why we should take care of them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Queequeg

Has anyone seen Hansie in the last month?  Every time I remember his "Romney, by a landslide" prediction I break out in giggles. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Martinus

I just saw on the Daily Show how the DNC "voted" to amend the platform to include God and Jerusalem. How fucking pathetic.  :lol:

If I was an American, I would not go to vote at all after that.

Faeelin

Quote from: Martinus on September 09, 2012, 12:31:20 PM
I just saw on the Daily Show how the DNC "voted" to amend the platform to include God and Jerusalem. How fucking pathetic.  :lol:

If I was an American, I would not go to vote at all after that.

So, how many political parties in Poland endorse gay marriage?