The DNC KenyanCommieMooselimbDidn'tBuildIt MegaThread!

Started by CountDeMoney, September 03, 2012, 10:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on September 09, 2012, 01:41:29 PM

The interesting question is whether such inefficiencies are made up by the benefits of social safety net.  Reasonable people will say yes, but idiots will disagree.

Actually, reasonable people will say "it depends on the particulars, of course" while idiots will insist they don't matter, the answer is "yes".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on September 10, 2012, 12:45:24 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 09, 2012, 01:41:29 PM

The interesting question is whether such inefficiencies are made up by the benefits of social safety net.  Reasonable people will say yes, but idiots will disagree.

Actually, reasonable people will say "it depends on the particulars, of course" while idiots will insist they don't matter, the answer is "yes".
I was not 100% serious there.  However, upon further reflection, I will retroactively stand behind the sentiment.  I can't think of one country that's worse off with social safety net than it would be without one.  Yes, even Greece.  Some safety nets are far more economically efficient than others, but all of them that actually exist in the real world are better than any system with no "disincentives to work".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2012, 06:59:33 PM
I do not see how this is a characteristic of the Roman system at all.

It would be characteristic of a hypothetical Roman system in which the plebes got to vote on the amount of the transfer.

Martinus

Quote from: Faeelin on September 09, 2012, 12:34:12 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 09, 2012, 12:31:20 PM
I just saw on the Daily Show how the DNC "voted" to amend the platform to include God and Jerusalem. How fucking pathetic.  :lol:

If I was an American, I would not go to vote at all after that.

So, how many political parties in Poland endorse gay marriage?

Out of six parties in the Parliament, two endorse it, two are split and two oppose it.

What does it have to do with falsifying "vote" results on national tv, though, you fucking faggot?

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 07, 2012, 01:10:26 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 07, 2012, 01:09:47 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 07, 2012, 01:05:26 PM
That works in a polarized political system.  But that doesnt answer the question of how so many poor and middle class folks became rabid Republicans to create your current polarized condition.
:pope: / :ph34r:

Yeah, I guess I keep underestimating that.

And here are some money quotes to perfectly illustrate how economic issues can be restated in more understandable terms:

QuoteIf Obama has fed class resentment with attacks on Romney's taxes and his mixed record at Bain Capital, the GOP is tapping into a different strain of white middle-class rancor -- one directed toward low-income recipients of government aid.

A Romney ad asserts that "Under Obama's plan, you wouldn't have to work and wouldn't have to train for a job. They just send you a welfare check." Independent fact-checkers say the ad distorts the administration's plan to give states more flexibility on work rules -- a request that came from Republican governors.

In Lynchburg, however, it resonates with some white conservatives. At the Modern Barber Shop on Main Street, where the Ten Commandments are displayed in the window, a group of retirees chatted about the election on a recent morning.

"I don't believe in free handouts," said Robert McCanna, a former accountant. "Obama is pitting blacks against whites."

Retired truck driver Lyle Campbell interjected, "If I was black, I would get anything I want."

http://news.yahoo.com/southern-whites-troubled-romneys-wealth-religion-050312040.html

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2012, 02:21:22 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2012, 06:59:33 PM
I do not see how this is a characteristic of the Roman system at all.

It would be characteristic of a hypothetical Roman system in which the plebes got to vote on the amount of the transfer.

Ah ok.  That was a very abstract point you were making there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2012, 04:53:24 PM
Well they live in Lynchburg what do you expect?

Not to mention they're old men at a barber shop. Cause having a woman cut your hair is indecent or something.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Strix

Quote from: YahooDNC apologizes for using image of Russian warships at convention

The organizers of the Democratic National Convention apologized on Wednesday for accidentally using an image of Soviet-era Russian warships in its backdrop during a tribute to veterans at last week's convention in Charlotte, N.C.

The ships were shown on a screen behind 50 veterans assembled onstage Sept. 6 during a presentation by retired Adm. John Nathman.

"Due to vendor error, incorrect images appeared briefly on screen behind fifty-one veterans during the convention and the DNCC apologizes for this mistake," a Democratic National Convention Committee spokeswoman said in a statement to the Navy Times. "This error should not distract from the words of Admiral Nathman and others who spoke to President Obama's strong record on issues that impact those who have served our nation."

The DNC also took the opportunity to take a swipe at Mitt Romney's speech at last month's Republican National Convention.

"We're proud of the service and sacrifice of our veterans and military families," the DNC said. "And while they were an important and active part our of convention, Mitt Romney failed to even mention them in his speech in Tampa."

The warships—believed to be part of the Russian Black Sea Fleet—were first spotted by Rob Barker, a former naval electronics warfare technician, who notified the Navy Times.

Naval historians solicited by the Navy Times confirmed the background showed four ships "with radar designs not used" in the U.S. fleet.

"The ships are definitely Russian," naval author Norman Polmar told the Navy Times on Tuesday after reviewing photos from the event. "There's no question of that in my mind."

More from the Navy Times:

For example, the ship in the foreground, on the far right, has a square radar antenna at the top of its masthead. That is the MR-700 Podberezovik 3-D early warning radar, commonly identified as "Flat Screen" for its appearance, a three-dimensional early warning radar mounted on the Kerch, said Eric Wertheim, editor of "Combat Fleets of the World."

Similarly, the third ship has a MR-310 "Head Net" air search radar, shaped like two off-set bananas at its masthead and is mostly likely the guided missile destroyer Smetlivyy. The first two ships seem to be Krivak-class frigates, but it's hard to discern from the silhouette, experts said.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

CountDeMoney

This is why you don't let interns do google searches for multimedia presentations.  Sheesh.

On the other hand, if it had been at the RNC, something would've been spelled wrong.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"