News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quebec Election Thread

Started by Malthus, August 29, 2012, 09:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Drakken

It's a AK-47 allright.

One dead, a technician working at the Metropolis, one critically injured, allegedly a driver driving one of the bus with Marois and the media crew. Allegedly he succeeded entering in the Metropolis by behind and was as close as 20-25 feet behind the veil separating the hall and the stage (behind Marois) when he started shooting.

Also, La Presse announces that a truck full of firearms was found in vicinity of the crime scene.

When arrested, the guy was clearly speaking with an Anglo-Quebecer accent while speaking French, and yelled "Les Anglais se réveillent. Les Anglais se réveillent". (The Anglos are rising, twice) before a cop shut him up by sliding his hood over his mouth. Thank God he didn't succeed, because Marois, her family, and many elected PQ candidates were among that crowd. The shock of it would have been like the Meech Accord in 1990, but ten times worse.

I watched the CBC Newsworld coverage just as it was confirmed that the first victim had died, and you could clearly see that the fact that the guy was an Anglo-Quebecer attempting to assassinate a PQ elected Premier was causing a lot of unease so much that they thoroughly attempted to hide the fact that the guy said that "the Anglos were rising". The elephant in the room being of course that it wasn't just an homicide, but an attempted political assassination.

Razgovory

You guys know there are dozens of AK derivatives, many which look very similar?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Drakken

Quote from: Drakken on September 04, 2012, 10:00:41 AM
Sweet, another Kim Campbell wannabee.

I suspect we will have another "Alberta scenario" : far more people will be willing to vote Liberal in the booth than they'd said in the polls. It's gonna be one messed up election.

Hate to say I told you so, but... I told you so.

Drakken

Quote from: Razgovory on September 05, 2012, 01:16:47 AM

Well, it looks indeed like an AK-47.

Drakken

I was wrong. Unofficial reports reports the gun is a CZ 858. Not in the prohibited class of weapon in Canada and thus easier to smuggle as it is a semi-automatic rifle. Indeed modeled over the AK-47.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on September 04, 2012, 10:01:19 AM

Though I haven't seen the movie, I think a reasonably good case can be made for the significance of the destruction of the York powder magazine.

The significance lies in the reaction of the US soldiers, who in retaliation for what they saw as a war crime (the explosion killed 250 of them), went on to burn & pillage York. This changed the nature of the war. Prior to that, there was some justified hope of the Americans rallying the local population (many of whom were in fact recent immigrants from America) to their support. The pillaging of York, and the retailation for it (famously, burning down Washington) made that much less likely. The Americans were now popularly portrayed as invaders not liberators, which made success that much less likely.
Interesting, I did not know that.  :hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

God damn motherfucking Baby boomers, ever since the first batch turned 50 they have been fucking up everything. :ultra:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Drakken on September 05, 2012, 02:07:50 AM
I was wrong. Unofficial reports reports the gun is a CZ 858. Not in the prohibited class of weapon in Canada and thus easier to smuggle as it is a semi-automatic rifle. Indeed modeled over the AK-47.

I thought the Butt Stock looked weird.

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on September 04, 2012, 11:45:12 PM
And Charest was *not* elected in his riding!
Which is fine, since he was going to have to resign anyways.

The best news is that the PQ was far enough away from a majority that QS wasn't able to bridge the gap.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

wich is why I asked, 'cause other people with more knowledge than me were saying it looked like a .22 caliber.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on September 05, 2012, 08:42:27 AM
wich is why I asked, 'cause other people with more knowledge than me were saying it looked like a .22 caliber.

Not impossible. 

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on September 04, 2012, 11:17:38 PM
Parti Québécois 32,1% des voix - 55 députés
Parti Libéral du Québec 31% - 49 députés
Coallition Avenir Québec 27,1% - 19 députés
Québec Solidaire 6,0% - 2 députés

CAQ with 27.1% and the Liberals with 31% I guess means the people of Quebec have spoken out pretty decisively against a referendum, that's good and wise.  Heh sort of funny the ruling party did not even come in the top 4.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."