News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quebec Election Thread

Started by Malthus, August 29, 2012, 09:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Sweet, another Kim Campbell wannabee.

I suspect we will have another "Alberta scenario" : far more people will be willing to vote Liberal in the booth than they'd said in the polls. It's gonna be one messed up election.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on September 04, 2012, 09:50:01 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2012, 12:14:40 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 01, 2012, 11:41:31 AM
You guys should watch "Explosion 1812". This is very nice piece of propaganda.  The intro gives it all: 1812, the explosion that changed the world.

Well it did kinda.  At least NOrth America.  But I will check it out.

I guess I find the whole idea of insidious War of 1812 propaganda so ridiculous to be sorta humorous but who knows.
The war changed North America, no doubt.  A single accidental explosion in York did not change the face of the world.  And I disagree with their assessment that America served a sucker punch to Great Britain while they were fighting for their survival against the relentless assaults of Napoleon.

Though I haven't seen the movie, I think a reasonably good case can be made for the significance of the destruction of the York powder magazine.

The significance lies in the reaction of the US soldiers, who in retaliation for what they saw as a war crime (the explosion killed 250 of them), went on to burn & pillage York. This changed the nature of the war. Prior to that, there was some justified hope of the Americans rallying the local population (many of whom were in fact recent immigrants from America) to their support. The pillaging of York, and the retailation for it (famously, burning down Washington) made that much less likely. The Americans were now popularly portrayed as invaders not liberators, which made success that much less likely.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

We get our First Female Prime Minister.

The first Harper-Marois meeting will be fun with her not understanding anything he says, in both languages.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

My condolences. Women in power. :rolleyes:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 04, 2012, 08:21:20 PM
My condolences. Women in power. :rolleyes:
It's Quebec.  It would be terribly hard to make it worse.

Mind you, Allison Redford has totally fucked Alberta up.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

It's a wonderfull place to live, it's just more expensive, tax wise.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grallon

PQ elected as minority government...  with a mere 33% of the electorate.  This is disappointing.  Despite everything, despite all the corruption the fucking Liberals are 2nd - SECOND!

The only good news is the CAQ is much weaker than expected.

Still I despair of Quebecers  <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Grey Fox

It's the Pauline Marois's effect. The Baby boomers, they can't stand her.

viper37

Parti Québécois 32,1% des voix - 55 députés
Parti Libéral du Québec 31% - 49 députés
Coallition Avenir Québec 27,1% - 19 députés
Québec Solidaire 6,0% - 2 députés

Députés = member of parliament (MP) or whatever is used for the provincial legislative assembly.

Former Premier Jean Charest has not been re-elected in his riding.  PQ leader Marois has been elected.  CAQ leader Legault is leading but not confirmed.  My own riding, merged for this election with part of another riding very strongly pro-Liberal is now represented by a Liberal MP instead of a PQ MP.  Big fucking change.

I'm glad Marois is not in a majority government.  Her populist and xenophobic stance, I can't abide.  Fuck her and her morons.  She and her husband are as corrupt as any Liberal can be, but her supporters are willing to excuse that, since she a leftist and a separatist.  This is what happens when people can't control their emotions.  We now got French immigrants as better candidates than Chinese because they live in French at home.  I can't imagine the storm had a CAQ candidate said something like this... But it's the PQ, so I guess it's ok to be a moron nowadays.  Lévesque or Bouchard would never have tolerated such idiots.  No wonder Lisée never kept a job.

Hopefully, the PQ will make some compromises with the CAQ when comes budget time.  We might not see those drastic tax hikes she promised.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 04, 2012, 09:12:23 PM
It's the Pauline Marois's effect. The Baby boomers, they can't stand her.
did we get how many people got to vote?  (taux de participation)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

What seems to be a frustrated anglo has tried to kill the Premier tonight.  2 people injured, a small fire has been controled.  A man has been arrested with what seems to be a rifle.

French link:
http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/elections-quebec-2012/201209/05/01-4571093-attentat-pendant-le-discours-de-marois.php

Grallon

You petty rhetoric is disgraceful Viper.  Morons day is it?  Jesus shame on you!

And Charest was *not* elected in his riding!

As for the turnover - 71% - much higher than last time (58%).

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

viper37

Gral, did you read what you wrote?
Let me quote it:
" This is disappointing.  Despite everything, despite all the corruption the fucking Liberals are 2nd - SECOND!

The only good news is the CAQ is much weaker than expected.

Still I despair of Quebecers  <_< "

You despair of Quebecers because they did not vote for your corrupt leader.  But I am not allowed the same?  You chose to vote for a party wich had no problem with illegal financing.   You vote for a leader who gave a generous golden parachute to her husband while she was Minister of Finance, knowing the PQ would probably not be re-elected.  You vote for your fearless leader wich has used illicit means to acquire government property on which her manor is built.

And you blame Quebecers for voting Liberals?  Between Marois and the PLQ remnant, I believe they are the lesser of two evils.

Once the PQ has a non moronic leader, maybe I'll vote for them.  But for now, all they want to do is blame specific groups for our problems.  One day, it's all the anglos fault.  Another, it's the non French immigrant's fault.  The week before, it was the filthy rich: those making 130k$ a year. So, what's next: forced nationalisation like in Bolivia and Venezuela?  Seize Couche-Tard and operate it in the People's name?

Marois is ready for anything to regain the leftist vote.  And that scares me.  Such a corrupt power hungry leader bodes nothing well for our future.

viper37

One dead confirmed, one injured.