And we're back!

Main Menu

Quebec Election Thread

Started by Malthus, August 29, 2012, 09:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 30, 2012, 09:50:00 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 29, 2012, 05:01:40 PM
What did the Federal Conservatives do that was such a bad example?
they didn't reduce expenses and concentrated on their social agenda rather than the economic one.

I am interested to hear that this is how they are percieved in Quebec.  I daresay that the perception is the opposite in the rest of the Country.  At worst the allegation is that they make noises that appeal to whatever small percentage of social conservatives there might be in this country but are not doing anything about it.

On the "reduce expenses" part of the ledger they are reducing spending and particularly reducing the size of the public service.  There has been a bit of grumbling from the public service because of that but on the whole it has been well managed and so it has not become a large issue.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on August 30, 2012, 09:56:56 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 30, 2012, 09:50:00 AM
they didn't reduce expenses and concentrated on their social agenda rather than the economic one.
Really?  Man, total fail.  It is like they are taking a page out of the 'how to suck' playbook the Republicans are writing.
Viper might be overstating matters.  He's just pissy that the Tories didn't declare a republic.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 30, 2012, 10:55:11 AM
On the "reduce expenses" part of the ledger they are reducing spending and particularly reducing the size of the public service.  There has been a bit of grumbling from the public service because of that but on the whole it has been well managed and so it has not become a large issue.
2006 is the year they took power for the first time.
2011 is the year they announced cuts for the first time.  So far, nothing has happenned.

However, we have more expenses than ever for 1812 propaganda and for various monarchist activities.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 30, 2012, 02:20:29 PM
However, we have more expenses than ever for 1812 propaganda and for various monarchist activities.

Ah, your real issue.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 30, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Ah, your real issue.

You knew it was coming. :D
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 30, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Ah, your real issue.
is this a decrease in spending?  So far, the budget is planning on economic growth to balance itself, not a cut in spending, not a careful re-evalutation of each program that should have been done since 2006.

Hard to convince people a right wing party is good for the country when all they do is the same as the Liberal Party.

I'll give you that though: we were not flooded with Canadian flags for the 1st of July.  But the historical revisionism comming from Ottawa is... appaling, to say the least.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

How much are we talking about here?

And I am glad you feel the need to stop the anti-Americanism in Canada.

QuoteSo far, the budget is planning on economic growth to balance itself, not a cut in spending, not a careful re-evalutation of each program that should have been done since 2006.

Heck even not increasing spending seems like it is a revolutionary and draconian right wing step in the First World these days.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Just for Viper, I'm gonna wear a tie with a crown on it.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Speaking of 1812, you guys will be amused to know that Glenn Beck advertises a commemorative 1812 gold coin on his radio show, as if it were a patriotic product.  But if you listen really close at the end of the commercial, the coin is made by the Royal Canadian Mint :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 30, 2012, 10:55:11 AM
2006 is the year they took power for the first time.
2011 is the year they announced cuts for the first time.  So far, nothing has happenned.

to be fair, the worst time to dcrease spending is during a recession.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 04:08:50 PM
Speaking of 1812, you guys will be amused to know that Glenn Beck advertises a commemorative 1812 gold coin on his radio show, as if it were a patriotic product.  But if you listen really close at the end of the commercial, the coin is made by the Royal Canadian Mint :lol:

You're right - I am amused. :D
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

On the front:

>a beaver<

1812: WE HELPED!

On the back:

>More Beaver<

JETS SUCK
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

:lol:

Yes, you are right. That is funny.

Malthus

:lol:

To be fair though, the only 1812 coin I could find is reasonably non-partisan - it's a heraldic device that celebrates the impact on the UK, the US and Canada. I can see a Yank liking it (Queen on the reverse aside).

http://www.mint.ca/store/coin/fine-gold-10-coin-war-of-1812-mintage-2000-2012-prod1300006

The description:

QuoteThe eagle, representing American forces, stands powerfully opposed to the lion, who symbolizes the British forces. Between them stretches the shield of military conflict upon which is emblazoned the maple leaf, signifying the shared resolve of the English- and French-speaking Canadian volunteers and First Nations warriors who worked together to bravely defend their land and ways of life.

No mention that the natives got screwed.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

I'll hold out for a Battle of New Orleans coin myself :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall