News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quebec Election Thread

Started by Malthus, August 29, 2012, 09:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 05, 2012, 01:24:11 PM
Meh, you just started getting treated like everyone else.
if this happen, it would be a big improvement already.

But, please.  Do tell me.  When was the last time Quebec specifically asked for something that no other province could have?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on September 06, 2012, 07:01:10 PM

But, please.  Do tell me.  When was the last time Quebec specifically asked for something that no other province could have?
language cops :P If anglo-canada had people going around making sure english was bigger then french you guys would freak.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on September 06, 2012, 07:11:01 PM
language cops :P If anglo-canada had people going around making sure english was bigger then french you guys would freak.
1) It's a provincial matter.  Nothing prevents you from that.  What you can't do, but still did for 100 years is prevent French kids from attending French schools by various ways.  You can still close the only French hospital in a province under the guise of "budget management" or start a lynch mob because a new hospital director was once a PQ member in 1970.

2) There are no language cops.  There are language laws and bureaucrats charged to enforce them.  Like labour laws, like commerce laws, like any kind of laws.  When people form a majority, they usually don't need that kind of laws, but as it happens, we are not a majority in Canada and we don't have 100% control over what goes on in our province.  Unfortunately for us, it seems other provinces not only do not want more power than they have, but they absolutely do not want anyone else having more power.  It's kinda silly when you think about it.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Well you did get a thread on Languish for your provincial election.  I do not see one for Manitoba.

I would think the Conservatives would be in favor of more Provincial autonomy.  Have they failed you yet again?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

:lol:

When have they not?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 07, 2012, 03:17:29 PM
Well you did get a thread on Languish for your provincial election.  I do not see one for Manitoba.
Do we have anyone living in Manitoba?  There was one for the Albertan election, IIRC.

I would think the Conservatives would be in favor of more Provincial autonomy.  Have they failed you yet again?
The problem is, it will be mightily difficult to make any permanent change without amending the constitution, and that, Harper has said no since day 1.
Bilateral agreement are all well and good, but at the end of the day, all it takes is a new government that decides things should not work this way.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 07, 2012, 03:27:56 PM

When have they not?
Asking for more power, yes.
Asking for more power exclusively to us, I don't think so.

If other provinces don't want more autonomy, it's their choice, not ours.  We don't have to live by it.

Ancient Demon

Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Barrister

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 07, 2012, 09:42:16 PM

When have they not?

If other provinces don't want more autonomy, it's their choice, not ours.  We don't have to live by it.

But that's exactly it.  Quebec consistently and constantly wants more powers, and says "we don't care what the rest of you do".

Zoupa

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on September 07, 2012, 11:16:51 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 07, 2012, 09:42:16 PM

When have they not?

But that's exactly it.  Quebec consistently and constantly wants more powers, and says "we don't care what the rest of you do".

We all fail to see how is that a problem?

If Alberta wants to join in on the fun, they can start by asking the Feds for stuff we already got. Like the ability to collecter their own taxes(Income & HST).
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 07, 2012, 11:16:51 PM

You deny us powers because you don't want to exercise it... it's kinda left-wing to the extreme, don't you think?
Quebec can't start making demands in the name of Alberta or Manitoba either.  That's kinda illogical.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 08, 2012, 01:56:46 PM
We all fail to see how is that a problem?

If Alberta wants to join in on the fun, they can start by asking the Feds for stuff we already got. Like the ability to collecter their own taxes(Income & HST).
They don't need to.  Whenever a provinces starts thinking about it, the Feds change the transfer payments and equalization formula to give them more money then ever.

And we're the spoiled ones! ;)