News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quebec Election Thread

Started by Malthus, August 29, 2012, 09:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on September 05, 2012, 12:00:32 PM
For those with that mentality that ended up encountering loyal Canadians, a combination of anger, fustration, and perhaps viewing them as a sort of traitor to their country conspired to less than ideal outcomes.

Except that theory does not hold with what actually happened.  The local population started out being, on the whole pro American because, as Malthus already pointed out, the population had a large percentage of Americans and there was a very small percentage of Tories within that group.  The Americans crossed the border not as liberators but as conquerors.  If they had come as liberators the war would have gone very differently in Canada.

crazy canuck

I wonder if this result is finally going to kill the separatist movement.  Going against a government that as weighed down by allegations of corruption and vote spliting the Separatists did suprisingly poorly.  Granted Drakken was right about the polling but still if these were not "favourable conditions" for a Separatist majority I am not sure what would be.

I guess everyone who was saying that time was against the Separatist cause was right and now that Quebec no longer controls who forms a majority Federal government the Separatists will show just how impotent their demands really are.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 05, 2012, 12:48:57 PM
I wonder if this result is finally going to kill the separatist movement.  Going against a government that as weighed down by allegations of corruption and vote spliting the Separatists did suprisingly poorly.  Granted Drakken was right about the polling but still if these were not "favourable conditions" for a Separatist majority I am not sure what would be.

I guess everyone who was saying that time was against the Separatist cause was right and now that Quebec no longer controls who forms a majority Federal government the Separatists will show just how impotent their demands really are.

Nah.  separatism has become a permanent and chronic problem in Canadian politics.  It will not go away.  Polls have consistently shown for over a generation now that approximately one third of Quebecers want independence.  It's a large enough number that it won't go away, but small enough that it won't happen.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

I dont know BB, in 95 there was 49% support for separation.  I think time has taken its toll on the movement.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 05, 2012, 01:06:15 PM
I dont know BB, in 95 there was 49% support for separation.  I think time has taken its toll on the movement.

That was an absolute high-water mark.  If you'll recall in the early campaign separation was lagging badly in the polls.  It was only when Bouchard stepped in to take charge that separation surged ahead to 49.5%.  Also remember that Bouchard had enormous public sympathy at the time as he had lost his leg to flesh-eating disease in December '94 (I'll admit - I had to look up the date).

It's not impossible that a majority of Quebecers might vote in favour of separation some day, but the polls for the last 40 years have been in the 30-40% range.

Grey Fox

We've only stop controlling it because the Ontarians have gone crazy. Quebec votes for a federalist party & they all turn their back on us.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 05, 2012, 01:18:12 PM
We've only stop controlling it because the Ontarians have gone crazy. Quebec votes for a federalist party & they all turn their back on us.

:huh:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2012, 01:20:03 PM

73 conversative mps? That's crazy!

crazy canuck

Meh, you just started getting treated like everyone else.  The days of Quebec demanding special treatment because it held one of the keys necessary for power are likely over. And the threat of separation isnt such a big deal for two reasons:

1) the rest of us dont much care whether you stay or go.
2) the threat of you going is low in any event.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 05, 2012, 01:24:06 PM

Hardly.  I see no reason why the Conservatives shouldn't win every seat in a province. :)

Grey Fox

I think it's better for Canada & Quebec that the ROC has stop caring wether we stay or go. The Liberals were always too vested in that.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on September 05, 2012, 01:27:14 PM

Hardly.  I see no reason why the Conservatives shouldn't win every seat in a province. :)

There is already such a place, usually refered to the United States of America. They even have no federal GST.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 05, 2012, 01:27:57 PM
I think it's better for Canada & Quebec that the ROC has stop caring wether we stay or go. The Liberals were always too vested in that.

They were vested because they needed Quebec seats to maintain their majority and Quebec played that card for all it was worth.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 05, 2012, 01:29:28 PM

There is already such a place, usually refered to the United States of America. They even have no federal GST.

I was making an Alberta joke. :secret:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 05, 2012, 01:29:28 PM

Bah, There isnt a US politician alive who knows how to balance the books.