Molestation and the reputations of great men

Started by Lettow77, August 29, 2012, 03:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

The greatness of the man overwhelms his crimes.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Also I find it difficult that Italian trains ran on time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I get the feeling that the "Great Man" in question here, is some relative of Lettow's.  If it's actually Nathan Bedford Forrest then for the love of God, release that information!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

CountDeMoney

merithyn

I thought it was pretty well documented that Benjamin Franklin had a thing for very young teenaged girls (13-14 year olds), which is part of why he was shuttled off to France as embassador. There, he was allowed to partake to his heart's content, since there was no such thing as an "age of consent" in France at the time.

That, to me, makes him brilliant and despicable. A person can be both.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on August 29, 2012, 10:40:35 AM
I thought it was pretty well documented that Benjamin Franklin had a thing for very young teenaged girls (13-14 year olds), which is part of why he was shuttled off to France as embassador. There, he was allowed to partake to his heart's content, since there was no such thing as an "age of consent" in France at the time.

I tried to do a quick search on that and couldn't really find anything. Any links?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on August 29, 2012, 09:33:23 AM
What if a man is a great man because he was a genius cop who prevented 100 molestations, but then to celebrate that milestone he molested one of the boys he saved.  Is he now a despicable man?

Yes, because Spock was wrong. The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

I've never heard that.  Not saying it isn't true, but I've never heard that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on August 29, 2012, 11:11:57 AM
I've never heard that.  Not saying it isn't true, but I've never heard that.

Ditto.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2012, 11:07:30 AM

I tried to do a quick search on that and couldn't really find anything. Any links?

Nope, can't find any either. I must have remembered it wrong.

HVC

He liked him some hookers, but I'm pretty sure they were age appropriate hookers.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on August 29, 2012, 11:45:38 AM

I found one mention of him in France with young ladies in the 18th century, but it was from a message-board post of someone ranting about pedophilia or something - didn't really read the post. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2012, 10:17:26 AM
His *suspected* bad deeds are far worse - there is a circumstantial case that he "collected" pregnant women (or rather, paid his gang of toughs to collect them) for disection before they were in fact dead.
They were only hours away from dying, so close enough.

merithyn

I found an article that claimed that he preferred older women, writing numerous letters to a young friend of his suggesting that he take up with an older woman rather than a younger one. Also, that he was in a sex club in London. Nothing about under-aged girls.

No idea where I got that from. I was pretty sure there was a stink about it some 10 years ago or so, but apparently not.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2012, 11:52:31 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 29, 2012, 11:45:38 AM

I found one mention of him in France with young ladies in the 18th century, but it was from a message-board post of someone ranting about pedophilia or something - didn't really read the post. :D

Yeah, that was Meri.