Molestation and the reputations of great men

Started by Lettow77, August 29, 2012, 03:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

Serious question, languish, and one that is strongly reminiscent of the Catholic Church's problems.

Assuming a man is lauded as great, and has justly earned his station through various achievements, what should be done if he has molested a child in a position of trust?

Assume he wasn't caught but it is known among a select few- it is out of society's eyes. Should it be kept that way? Does he cease being a great man, and become instead defined for his sinful indiscretion? Finally, consider this- the man is beyond punishment now, being quite dead, and it is only his memory that is in jeopardy.

I am very much at grief about this, as it effects numerous dear to me, and of course calls for a re-imagining of how I knew certain people and their life narratives. You can never know everything that goes into making someone who they are, that's for sure.

Is it a great crime and disservice to pretend the molestation never happened?

I know languish is fond of making light of my life and times, but i'd appreciate a serious response at this, if that was at all possible.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Syt

A person can do great works and still be despicable human being. Some may say it's a prerequisite.

Anyhow, if it involves a crime, the authorities should be involved at any rate. And people should know the full truth. I never quite bought into "we mustn't destroy icons because they're important for society" line. Tear down the old icons, create new ones.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

As it's molestation, not murder, and the perpetrator himself is dead, I'd leave it to the victims to decide if they want to publicize the deeds or not.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

As Pedro touched on, the primary concern should be the well-being and happiness of the victims.  If publicizing helps them come to terms, then that's the thing to do.

Viking

Mussolini made the trains run on time but that doesn't mean he was a scumbag.
Rosalind Franklin was a genius scientist, but apparently a horrible person.

We, not just the victims, need to know the truth.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Darth Wagtaros

You mean 'wasn't a scumbag' right Vikes? Right?
PDH!

Viking

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 29, 2012, 06:35:19 AM
You mean 'wasn't a scumbag' right Vikes? Right?

Eh, yeah, whoops. Mussolini was a scumbag.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

lustindarkness

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 29, 2012, 03:05:14 AM
Assuming a man is lauded as great, and has justly earned his station through various achievements, what should be done if he has molested a child in a position of trust?
What you thought was a great man is not, come to terms with it.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on August 29, 2012, 06:27:07 AM
Mussolini made the trains run on time but that doesn't mean he was a scumbag.

:face:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 29, 2012, 07:08:21 AM
Benito was a jolly man.

He had the virtue of not being a kiddie fucker, so, not all bad. Unlike hitler who first pulled a jerry lee lewis and fucked his underage cousin then driving her into suicide.

Martinus

Speaking of which, apparently Kosciuszko was a kiddie fucker.

And I agree with Peter Wiggin. And if there are no victims alive, I would err on the side of truth.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on August 29, 2012, 07:45:47 AM

Wow, that is a bummer.

Is that well established? Is that changing his assessment in Poland?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on August 29, 2012, 08:21:47 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 29, 2012, 07:45:47 AM

Wow, that is a bummer.

Is that well established? Is that changing his assessment in Poland?

Well, I guess it's not really possible to establish that unequivocally - there are only scant mentions and euphemisms about this, and in that period probably noone was particularly shaken but he apparently liked young girls.