Molestation and the reputations of great men

Started by Lettow77, August 29, 2012, 03:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martim Silva

Quote from: Barrister on August 29, 2012, 01:39:13 PM
Again, you sure seem to be less then accurate.  And I'm only going off of wiki.

Ok, I'll start using wiki to lecture you on daily canadian events too.

Quote from: Barrister on August 29, 2012, 01:39:13 PM
Nobody has served any time in jail because appeals are outstanding.  One guy was given a seven year sentence.

The sentencing was two years ago (September 2010, for a case started in September 2002). And so far, there have been no new hearings, no new audiences, NADA. Nothing has happened in the so-called 'appeals'. They are simply not happening. The case is dead.

The guy with the seven year sentence is Carlos Cruz, a famous presenter.  He won't do a single second of his term.

Thoguh I forgot: there IS one who was convicted to 18 years: Bibi, the keeper at the State Orphanate, who delivered the boys to the 'parties' of the wealthy. He wasn't rich nor influent. And indeed I forgot - HE has been doing time. In fact, he's in jail since the scandal broke out in the first place, over 10 years ago.

But then, everybody knew the guy with no money was going to be the only one to go to jail.

Btw, Bibi ALSO appealed. Oddly enough, that wasn't enough to prevent him from being sent straight back to his cell right after sentencing.

Rule: People with money get to do whatever they damn well want against those who are not wealthy. The law is harsh on the poor, feeble against the rich.

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on August 29, 2012, 12:42:49 PM
Heck he was calling for female sufferage after the Revolution.

What was he calling to have them suffer of?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Martim Silva on August 29, 2012, 05:56:47 PM

Rape scandals at orphanages are daily occurrences in Portugal?  How do you live in a country with that knowledge?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

sbr

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on August 29, 2012, 06:15:05 PM

Rape scandals at orphanages are daily occurrences in Portugal?  How do you live in a country with that knowledge?
:lol:

clandestino

Surprisingly and although his first post was somewhat of, the last post of MSilva is actually what happened and most people I know (anedoctal) and me included share that view.

About the joke, yeah, it's not like "rape scandals at orphanages" are daily ocurrences, but powerful people not serving any jail time or being convicted, that's another story completely. :(

Razgovory

You know, I would normally feel bad for MS, but he really brings all this on himself.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Rule: People with money get to do whatever they damn well want against those who are not wealthy. The law is harsh on the poor, feeble against the rich.
To be fair, Portugal is not a unique snowflake in this regard. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: DGuller on August 29, 2012, 09:33:23 AM
What if a man is a great man because he was a genius cop who prevented 100 molestations, but then to celebrate that milestone he molested one of the boys he saved.

:lol:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Brain

A wise man once said that well-organized republics establish rewards and punishments for their citizens but never compensate one with the other.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: Martim Silva on August 29, 2012, 12:07:35 PM
Anyway, the bottom line is that, while most of the population is *far* from convinced of his innocence, everyone is willing to forget, so as not to lose on the laughs. And it's that perception that is asked here.

Actually, the question asked was what "should" happen, not what will likely happen or will be perceived to have happened.  Unless you're arguing that ignoring criminal behavior from a comedian in order for him to keep entertaining people is what should happen, which I don't think you are.

Phillip V

I thought this thread was going to be about great men who were molested. :(

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Phillip V on August 30, 2012, 06:30:38 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about great men who were molested. :(

Maybe the snakes baby Hercules had to fight weren't really snakes?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: merithyn on August 29, 2012, 10:40:35 AM
I thought it was pretty well documented that Benjamin Franklin had a thing for very young teenaged girls (13-14 year olds), which is part of why he was shuttled off to France as embassador. There, he was allowed to partake to his heart's content, since there was no such thing as an "age of consent" in France at the time.

That, to me, makes him brilliant and despicable. A person can be both.

You do realize that would be (especially 14) within the age of consent in a lot of modern Western countries, right?