Federal appeals court strikes down FDA tobacco warning label law

Started by jimmy olsen, August 27, 2012, 10:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 29, 2012, 01:00:30 PM
The idea is to create a stigma around smoking.  Thats why the anti smoking adds these days focus on how it makes you look like crap.  We cant prevent people from doing stupid things but we can appeal to their vanity.

How's that one working? 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on August 29, 2012, 01:05:46 PM
The idea is to create a stigma around smoking.  Thats why the anti smoking adds these days focus on how it makes you look like crap.  We cant prevent people from doing stupid things but we can appeal to their vanity.

How's that one working?

Smoking rates continue to decrease, and are at all time lows. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

IIRC teen smoking fell in he mid nineties but has been at the same level since. So in regards to pictures on packs, that didn't work. What did was über taxing them, with the unentended consequence of "counterfeit" smokes hitting a new high. These don't have the same safety percausions as normal smokes (limited they may be) and are worse for you. It's always chinas fault lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on August 29, 2012, 01:09:21 PM

How's that one working?

Because of the ads?  :yeahright:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on August 29, 2012, 01:10:58 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 29, 2012, 01:09:21 PM

How's that one working?

Because of the ads?  :yeahright:

It appears to be part of it.   :)

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on August 29, 2012, 01:21:47 PM

Keep telling yourself that.  I'd have a hard time imagining the ads keeping one kid from smoking.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on August 29, 2012, 01:27:34 PM

Keep telling yourself that.  I'd have a hard time imagining the ads keeping one kid from smoking.

:console:

You should work on your imagination, then.  I can imagine all kinds of things, myself.  :)

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on August 29, 2012, 01:34:36 PM
you two seem stressed. Have a smoke, it does wonders :D

Right now I'm imagining my foot up your ass.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

I could imagine having a cigar right now.  Too bad I can't do that at work.  Never have time these days at home :angry:

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on August 29, 2012, 01:35:43 PM

:o why are you anti-smoking guys so violent :(

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on August 29, 2012, 01:52:23 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 29, 2012, 01:35:43 PM

:o why are you anti-smoking guys so violent :(

What you call violence, I call negative reinforcement.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on August 29, 2012, 01:36:31 PM
I think the smoking bans are much more significant.

I think you are correct.  Watching all those wretches standing on the street corner in their expensive suits smoking in the rain went a long way to make it look uncool.  Even to teenage girls more concerned about smoking helping them keep off the weight.