News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The GOP Convention MegaMittensThread!

Started by CountDeMoney, August 27, 2012, 12:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Gups on August 29, 2012, 12:18:19 PM
Of course its a story. Whether it says much about the GOP is another matter, depending on the kind of responses we see.

It's only a story if it says something about the GOP however.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

CountDeMoney

garbon likes having nuts thrown at him.

garbon

Quote from: Gups on August 29, 2012, 12:26:22 PM
It's not just politicians who make up a party.

OK? We're hardly going to get news items out of how the base party feels / I don't think Repubs will revolt against their politicians who condemn calling black people nuts.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

garbon

derspiess

Yahoo fired the dude who was overheard channeling Seedy.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012/08/yahoo-news-fires-david-chalian-source-133662.html

QuoteYahoo News fires David Chalian
Comments () By DYLAN BYERS | 8/29/12 1:26 PM EDT
TAMPA, Fla. -- Yahoo News has fired Washington bureau chief David Chalian after he was caught on a hot-mic during an online video broadcast today saying that Mitt Romney and his wife Ann had no problem with African Americans suffering as a result of Hurricane Isaac, a source familiar with the situation tells POLITICO.

"They're not concerned at all. They're happy to have a party with black people drowning," Chalian said during the ABC News/Yahoo News webcast, in reference to the fact that the GOP convention in Tampa is taking place as Hurricane Isaac makes landfall on the north Gulf coast.

The conservative media watchdog organization NewsBusters first posted audio of Chalian's remarks, but referred to him as an ABC News employee (and offered slightly inaccurate transcription). ABC News spokesperson Julie Townsend informed the organization that Chalian was with Yahoo.

Chalian and Yahoo News spokesperson Kristen Morquecho did not respond to requests for comment; Townsend also did not respond to a request for comment. (ABC News, where Chalian was political director until 2010, has partnered with Yahoo News for 2012 political coverage).

UPDATE (1:30 p.m.): Yahoo News confirms:

"David Chalian's statement was inappropriate and does not represent the views of Yahoo!.  He has been terminated effective immediately. We have already reached out to the Romney campaign, and we apologize to Mitt Romney, his staff, their supporters and anyone who was offended."
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on August 29, 2012, 12:31:55 PM
It would be more innocent if the GOP didn't deliberately court these people.

And you'd have a point if that were actually true.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 29, 2012, 12:57:44 PM

Something called "Yahoo News" shouldn't be in existence, anyway.

Nice try with the attempt to pin it on a real news organization, though.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 29, 2012, 01:05:30 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 29, 2012, 12:57:44 PM

Something called "Yahoo News" shouldn't be in existence, anyway.

Nice try with the attempt to pin it on a real news organization, though.

I use it a lot  :blush:

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on August 29, 2012, 12:58:29 PM

You start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger"—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites.[36]

And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger"

Yeah, I can't imagine where I got the impression that the GOP courts these people
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on August 29, 2012, 01:11:33 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 29, 2012, 12:58:29 PM

You start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger"—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites.[36]

And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger"

Yeah, I can't imagine where I got the impression that the GOP courts these people

Sheilbh

I thought Yahoo was a news aggregator like Google, didn't know they had reporters.

In GOP race relations, Jeb Bush said today that the party needs to stop being silly on immigration. It didn't help that when a delegate was speaking with a Spanish accent last night the crowd drowned them out with chants of USA. Apparently the video's got lots of traction in Spanish language news sites.
Let's bomb Russia!