News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

U.S. plans for Mexico border violence

Started by jimmy olsen, March 12, 2009, 09:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Kidnapping sounds like a violent crime to me.  ???

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29659021/
QuoteU.S. plans for Mexico border violence
Official: Military force last resort in dealing with drug wars

updated 6:42 p.m. ET, Thurs., March. 12, 2009

WASHINGTON - A top Homeland Security official told a House panel Thursday that Mexican drug cartels are the biggest organized crime threat to the United States.

Homeland Security official Roger Rufe said a department plan to respond to escalating violence on the southwest border includes — as a last resort — deploying military personnel and equipment to the region if homeland security agencies become overwhelmed.

Rufe, echoing comments a day earlier from President Barack Obama, said now is not the time to militarize the southwest border.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

"We would take all resources short of DoD and National Guard troops before we reach that tipping point," Rufe told lawmakers. "We very much do not want to militarize our border."

Rufe said military forces would be called in only when homeland security and other government agencies are overwhelmed. He did not specify what circumstances would trigger a call for troops.

The Mexican government has deployed 700 extra federal police to Ciudad Juarez, a city bordering Texas where local police have been overwhelmed by drug violence. Earlier this month, 3,200 federal troops were sent to the city.

Mexican officials say the violence killed 6,290 people last year — and more than 1,000 in the first eight weeks of 2009. Warring drug cartels are blamed for more than 560 kidnappings in Phoenix in 2007 and the first half of 2008, and killings in Atlanta, and Birmingham, Ala.

Rufe said while the violence along the border in Mexico is appalling, violent crimes have not increased in U.S. border cities as a result. He said kidnappings are up, but violent crime is down.

"We're not so concerned, at least at this point, about that violence spilling over into our cities," he said.

Warnings issued to travelers
Further, the Homeland Security Department's attache to Mexico said the violence in Mexico is not as dangerous to U.S. tourists as has been portrayed.

Alonzo Pena said the violence is in isolated areas of the country and only affects the people involved in criminal activity. He said the violence is not affecting U.S. citizens visiting Mexico and Americans should not cancel their vacations in the country.

Earlier this month, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives warned college students on spring breaks not to travel to parts of northern Mexico because it was too dangerous.

In February, the State Department advised travelers to avoid areas of prostitution and drug-dealing in Mexico.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Phoenix is second in kidnappings in the world. That is disturbing; I saw it reported a couple of weeks ago. The US arrested hundreds last week across the US, related to Mexican dealers, so that alone shows we already have a problem that spills over here from Mexico. That was in the news and I think posted on the old Languish forum. Amazing, and disturbing, that this stuff is just now being talked about in the US but has been going on or in the making for years.

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on March 13, 2009, 07:34:18 AM
Phoenix is second in kidnappings in the world. That is disturbing; I saw it reported a couple of weeks ago. The US arrested hundreds last week across the US, related to Mexican dealers, so that alone shows we already have a problem that spills over here from Mexico. That was in the news and I think posted on the old Languish forum. Amazing, and disturbing, that this stuff is just now being talked about in the US but has been going on or in the making for years.

Think about who they are kidnapping.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 11:42:45 AM
Quote from: KRonn on March 13, 2009, 07:34:18 AM

Think about who they are kidnapping.
Kidnapping their own in most cases, plus what else they're likely up to is also disturbing.  So it seems the fact is that the dealers, players and thugs are here in large numbers to be so active.

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on March 13, 2009, 12:07:09 PM
Kidnapping their own in most cases, plus what else they're likely up to is also disturbing.  So it seems the fact is that the dealers, players and thugs are here in large numbers to be so active.

Sorry I should have quoted better.  My post was really a reply to your last sentence.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 12:12:01 PM
Quote from: KRonn on March 13, 2009, 12:07:09 PM

Sorry I should have quoted better.  My post was really a reply to your last sentence.
Hmm...ok. So I think you mean that since those involved in the drug trade in some way were the ones being kidnapped, or prosecuted for it, then the news wasn't so fast to report it like they might if it were random kidnappings for money.

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on March 13, 2009, 12:16:48 PM
Hmm...ok. So I think you mean that since those involved in the drug trade in some way were the ones being kidnapped, or prosecuted for it, then the news wasn't so fast to report it like they might if it were random kidnappings for money.

That and because it often involves illegal immigrants being kidnapped.  We don't care as much about non-innocent victims nor those illegally in our country.  Not that such a mindset is right, but I'd wager that's part of the reason there hasn't been a lot of media play.

Darth Wagtaros

Economist says that Mexico and Pakistan are considered the greatest threats as 'failed states' to the US in several categories. :(
PDH!

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 12:20:07 PM
That and because it often involves illegal immigrants being kidnapped.  We don't care as much about non-innocent victims nor those illegally in our country.  Not that such a mindset is right, but I'd wager that's part of the reason there hasn't been a lot of media play.

Just wait till a pretty blonde chick gets kidnapped.  24/7 coverage.

KRonn

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 13, 2009, 12:28:55 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 12:20:07 PM

Just wait till a pretty blonde chick gets kidnapped.  24/7 coverage.
Americans are missing after going to Mexico. Kidnapped for various reasons, like one case where a young woman was taken to be given to some local thug. That finally made the news, after being a story out there for a long time. The father was on tv talking about it. Now some colleges are telling their students to stay out of Mexico on spring break. This stuff has been going on, on both sides of the border, but getting little attention. Maybe it isn't big enough yet, or as you say, the sensational case hasn't yet caught our or the media's attention.

lustindarkness

I guess nukes are out of the question, to close, but conventional bombs could work, we have plenty stockpiled we could get rid off.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Evil Spock

A good civil war in Mexico spilling over into the SW states will make good TV. Hopefully the intensity picks up and we get JDAM strikes on border-dodging hordes spilling over.  8)

Grey Fox

Quote from: Evil Spock on March 13, 2009, 01:30:54 PM
A good civil war in Mexico spilling over into the SW states will make good TV. Hopefully the intensity picks up and we get JDAM strikes on border-dodging hordes spilling over.  8)

Who's this guy again?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 13, 2009, 01:53:06 PM
Who's this guy again?

He's of no importance.  And I've found it surprisingly easy to ignore posts by foreign names. :)

Evil Spock

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 01:59:13 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 13, 2009, 01:53:06 PM
Who's this guy again?

He's of no importance.  And I've found it surprisingly easy to ignore posts by foreign names. :)

I'm loved by most here. If a half-nigger faggot and a emo frog aren't two of them, I won't lose any sleep.  :)