And we're back!

Main Menu

U.S. plans for Mexico border violence

Started by jimmy olsen, March 12, 2009, 09:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Evil Spock on March 13, 2009, 02:03:49 PM
I'm loved by most here.

You created a puppet so someone would respond to your posts.  That doesn't signify love to me...???
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Evil Spock

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 02:06:28 PM
I'm loved by most here.

You created a puppet so someone would respond to your posts.  That doesn't signify love to me...???

You're wrong and doing a poor job of ignoring me.  :)

garbon

Quote from: Evil Spock on March 13, 2009, 02:12:19 PM
You're wrong and doing a poor job of ignoring me.  :)

That's because I love you. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Evil Spock

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 02:50:38 PM
That's because I love you. :(

Sometimes I don't hate you. This isn't one of those times.  :)

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 01:59:13 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 13, 2009, 01:53:06 PM
Who's this guy again?

He's of no importance.  And I've found it surprisingly easy to ignore posts by foreign names. :)

I'm loved by most here. If a half-nigger faggot and a emo frog aren't two of them, I won't lose any sleep.  :)

I didn't say anything about love, I just don't know who you are. Jukaga.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Phillip V

Would I rather get deployed to Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Mexico?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Phillip V on March 13, 2009, 07:02:27 PM
Would I rather get deployed to Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Mexico?

How is it even a question? Mexico has a  better climate, and the culture and language is far more understandable.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

SUV's with antiaircraft guns on them? Sounds like Africa.

Also, the death toll has surpassed 10,000 :(

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30217341/
QuoteAnti-aircraft machine gun nets Mexico arrest
Police on a routine patrol Monday found the gun fitted atop an SUV

updated 1 hour, 59 minutes ago

MEXICO CITY - Mexican authorities arrested a woman guarding an arsenal that included the first anti-aircraft machine gun seized in Mexico, police said Tuesday, as the army announced the capture of an alleged top drug cartel lieutenant.

The arsenal belonged to a group linked to the powerful Beltran-Leyva drug cartel, federal police coordinator Gen. Rodolfo Cruz said. It also included ammunition, five rifles, a grenade and part of a grenade launcher.

Mexican drug cartels, battling a fierce crackdown by soldiers and federal police, have increasingly gotten hold of higher-powered weapons, even military-grade arms such as grenades and machine guns. That has left police — particularly state and municipal forces — grossly outgunned, and many officers have quit following attacks.

Gun found atop SUV
Cruz said the confiscated .50-caliber, anti-aircraft machine gun can fire 800 rounds per minute and is capable of penetrating armor from more than 5,000 feet away. Police on a routine patrol Monday found the gun fitted atop an SUV at a house in northern Sonora state.

Authorities did not release any other details about the gun, including its make, where it was manufactured, or where it was sold.

The arrested suspect, Anahi Beltran Cabrera, apparently is not related to the Beltran-Leyva clan, Cruz said.

The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has traced many guns seized at scenes of drug violence in Mexico to U.S. commercial sources. But determining the source of military-grade weapons such as grenades and fully automatic machine guns is more complicated.

The ATF says the grenades are mostly smuggled in through Central America, and have been traced back to the militaries of many countries, from South Korea to Spain and Israel. Some may be leftovers from the Central American civil wars.

Assailants have fired on government aircraft performing anti-drug missions in Mexico in the past, but apparently never with the caliber of weapon found Monday.

In 2006, a helicopter on a federal drug-eradication mission crashed while trying to escape ground fire, and a second helicopter was damaged by gunfire in the Pacific coast state of Guerrero.

Problem of gun smuggling
Mexico is upgrading its northern and southern border checkpoints in an effort to detect and seize more guns and other contraband, installing equipment that will weigh and photograph each car and truck coming into the country.

President Barack Obama has promised to do more to stop gun trafficking from the United States to Mexico. He has pledged to dispatch nearly 500 more federal agents to the border, along with X-ray machines and drug-sniffing dogs.

Also Tuesday, the Mexican army announced the capture of Ruben Granados Vargas, an alleged lieutenant for the Beltran-Leyva drug cartel in the Pacific coast state of Guerrero.

Gen. Luis Arturo Oliver said soldiers caught Granados Vargas and two other suspects with four rifles and 2.6 pounds (1.2 kilograms) of opium on Monday.

Granados Vargas allegedly ran the cartel's drug planting, harvesting and trafficking operations on the coast west of the resort of Acapulco.

Turf war with alleged cartel
He is implicated in a number of kidnappings and killings in the region, including attacks as part of a turf war with an alleged Sinaloa cartel rival that left 17 people dead last year, organized crime prosecutor Marisela Morales said.

Granados Vargas' wife, sister-in-law and two sons were later killed in retaliation, prosecutors.

Mexico's drug violence has claimed more than 10,650 lives since President Felipe Calderon launched a military-led offensive against trafficking cartels in December 2006.

In March, the government sent thousands more troops to the northern border to quell escalating violence. The government announced Sunday that drug-related homicides fell 26 percent across the country in the first three months of the year, compared to the same period in 2008.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Quote from: KRonn on March 13, 2009, 07:34:18 AM
Phoenix is second in kidnappings in the world. That is disturbing; I saw it reported a couple of weeks ago. The US arrested hundreds last week across the US, related to Mexican dealers, so that alone shows we already have a problem that spills over here from Mexico. That was in the news and I think posted on the old Languish forum. Amazing, and disturbing, that this stuff is just now being talked about in the US but has been going on or in the making for years.
Generally speaking, things that are bad for Phoenix are, in the long run, good for American culture. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on April 14, 2009, 11:30:32 PM
Phoenix is second in kidnappings in the world. That is disturbing; I saw it reported a couple of weeks ago. The US arrested hundreds last week across the US, related to Mexican dealers, so that alone shows we already have a problem that spills over here from Mexico. That was in the news and I think posted on the old Languish forum. Amazing, and disturbing, that this stuff is just now being talked about in the US but has been going on or in the making for years.
Generally speaking, things that are bad for Phoenix are, in the long run, good for American culture.

:yeahright:  Elaborate.

1 Karma Chameleon point

citizen k

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 14, 2009, 11:34:10 PM

:yeahright:  Elaborate.
He's never been to Phoenix and is thus talking out of his ass.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 14, 2009, 11:26:56 PM
SUV's with antiaircraft guns on them?

No fair. I want AA guns on mine too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Strix

The Cardinals losing the Superbowl to the Steelers is a good example.  :)
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Valmy

QuoteA top Homeland Security official told a House panel Thursday that Mexican drug cartels are the biggest organized crime threat to the United States.

This line always cracks me up everytime I read it.

I am so glad we have geniuses like this official around to tell us what has been true since the 80s.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."