News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

More Harry material may emerge soon

Started by garbon, August 24, 2012, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Quote from: Malthus on January 22, 2013, 12:56:43 PM
Meh, I'm re-reading a book about the Duke of Marlborough (written, ironically enough, by Lady Di's brother  :D ).
Not THAT ironically, and certainly not coincidental, since the Duke of Marlborough has been a Spencer, or Spencer-Churchill, since 1733.

Malthus

Quote from: Brazen on January 23, 2013, 11:33:56 AM
Quote from: Malthus on January 22, 2013, 12:56:43 PM
Meh, I'm re-reading a book about the Duke of Marlborough (written, ironically enough, by Lady Di's brother  :D ).
Not THAT ironically, and certainly not coincidental, since the Duke of Marlborough has been a Spencer, or Spencer-Churchill, since 1733.

Certainly, he makes his connection to the Duke clear in his intro. The amusing part is that someone writing about entertaining royal scandals of the past, has close connections with the royal scandals of the present. That part he doesn't mention in his intro.

Anyway, all in all, he's actually a pretty good writer.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Gups

I've read that - it was surprisngly good.

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on January 22, 2013, 05:51:27 PM
Quote from: Zanza on January 22, 2013, 12:37:36 PM
And what a mature person he is about killing them...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/prince-harry/9817482/Prince-Harry-relaxing-after-Afghanistan-tour-ends.html

Seriously?  Do young soldiers in German history talk like ivory tower philosophers or something?
Probably not. How is that relevant to his comments?  :huh:

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on January 23, 2013, 12:43:43 PM
Probably not. How is that relevant to his comments?  :huh:

Because you seem so disapproving.  Like somehow a soldier going through these absurdly stressful situations need to somehow conduct themselves with the highest decorum.  Granted he was in a helicopter but still.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

I still don't get why it matters how German soldiers talked in history. Anyway, yes, I disapprove. Maybe he was in an absurdly stressful stiutation, maybe he was just chilling in the camp. Doesn't matter, the statement by itself is stupid in my opinion.

derspiess

Again, he was and is serving dutifully and as far as I'm concerned he can say what he wants.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on January 23, 2013, 12:56:04 PM
I still don't get why it matters how German soldiers talked in history

Because the context in which people say things is important.  It seems pretty out of touch to ignore that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zanza

I get that you guys disagree with me. I guess we'll just have to leave it at that.

derspiess

Quote from: Zanza on January 23, 2013, 01:22:57 PM
I get that you guys disagree with me. I guess we'll just have to leave it at that.

I'd be interested to hear more of your reasoning.  Not that either of us would change our minds, but I'd like to at least understand your point of view.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

It sounds like the same sort of thing I hear combat vets say all the time.  So I guess I hear it and think 'well yeah'.  There is a reason why official military spokespeople are not selected from front line troops.

Martinus

I read an interview with a professional sniper today (he was part of the Polish GROM unit and served in Iraq and Afghanistan) and he said that, I quote, "you need to be either a sociopath or really mentally challenged" to say the kind of stuff Harry said.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2013, 01:39:44 PM

It sounds like the same sort of thing I hear combat vets say all the time.  So I guess I hear it and think 'well yeah'.  There is a reason why official military spokespeople are not selected from front line troops.

Really? Maybe we are listening to different vets, as I believe most of them say quite the opposite. I heard several vets who were in Iraq and Afghanistan who said that war is nothing like a computer game and that you actually get a sort of grudging respect for the enemies that you kill.

Martinus

Perhaps it is different for snipers/active combat soldiers, and different for helicopter/drone pilots though - after all, there is a reason why the latter is often criticised as it makes the killing too detached, resulting in psychosis.

jimmy olsen

Snipers have the same reputation and for the same reason.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point