News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

More Harry material may emerge soon

Started by garbon, August 24, 2012, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 24, 2013, 07:45:19 AM
Snipers have the same reputation and for the same reason.

I would disagree. Snipers are much more precise and have a better shot (no pun intended) in getting to "know" their target.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Since Marty has demonstrated he has nothing but contempt for people in the armed forces several times, I'm not sure who he was talking to.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Legbiter on January 22, 2013, 05:57:19 PM
I actually find it amusing that the savages with their godly Jihad are being shredded with a 20 mm minigun by a dim-witted happy-go-lucky lad with half a mind on his CoD score.

:lol:  Awesome, ain't it?

Admiral Yi

What kind of snatch score you think Harry has racked up to this point?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on January 24, 2013, 07:10:56 AM
I heard several vets who were in Iraq and Afghanistan who said that war is nothing like a computer game and that you actually get a sort of grudging respect for the enemies that you kill.

Depends if you're sleeping in the mud every day as they're shooting at you from a few hundred yards away, or if you're kicking it back at the airbase in the evenings catching up on your fave series on Netflix.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 24, 2013, 02:50:26 PM
What kind of snatch score you think Harry has racked up to this point?

Probably some pretty damned good quality, as befitting his bank account.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 24, 2013, 02:52:51 PM

Leaving quality and rarity and difficulty modifiers aside for a moment, what would you guess his raw unique hits score is?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 24, 2013, 02:56:12 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 24, 2013, 02:52:51 PM

Leaving quality and rarity and difficulty modifiers aside for a moment, what would you guess his raw unique hits score is?

To the uninitiated and unaware in the circles he'd travel in, I'd say substantially below .500, primarily considering the whole ginger minger thing (unless it's garbon or somebody else with a redhead thing).  Simply not an attractive fellow on a cold call with a low-level bikini model in town on a shoot at the bar.
Thing is, he can't go anywhere where he's not The Harry.   That's bonus points right there;  the guy's already laid and banging them two at a time before he walks through the door.

At least that's my theory.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Zanza on January 22, 2013, 02:12:57 PM
Of course. It's just that it makes him look like an immature idiot.  :bowler:

As is normally the case with the royals we get a small tidbit of a longer interview. I don't see how comparing piloting an aircraft to video games makes one look like an idiot, much training these days is done on simulators and they are, essentially, really fancy video games. It's also widely known that even infantrymen who are heavily into videogames can see benefits in reaction time and etc (it's not akin to firing a real gun so it's harder to build skills than with flight simulators with realistic controls, but the reaction time stuff is legitimate.)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a soldier enjoying piloting an attack helicopter.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 22, 2013, 06:18:51 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 22, 2013, 05:59:50 PM
Do we know that Harry is especially dim?
He's not academic.

Academics are the product of a society that allows people to engage in masturbatory time wasting about obscure and arcane topics.

Normal intelligence is normal intelligence, there is no particular reason to assume someone who is famous for reasons totally unrelated to intellect will be especially smart or especially dumb, averages suggest they'd be normal intelligence.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 24, 2013, 06:52:25 PM
I didn't say he wasn't an academic.

I refuse to recognize any distinction between your original statement and your clarifying statement. Any protestations will render you immediately destroyed by a plague of locusts.

mongers

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 24, 2013, 06:54:23 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 24, 2013, 06:52:25 PM
I didn't say he wasn't an academic.

I refuse to recognize any distinction between your original statement and your clarifying statement. Any protestations will render you immediately destroyed by a plague of locusts.

It's academic, his other day job is as a Prince.   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

OttoVonBismarck

I find it extremely unlikely Marti has any extensive interactions with people who have been in combat. Combat veterans say shit like Harry did all the time, note, at least from the selected quote that was obviously trimmed and the randomly spliced videos on the Telegraph's website there is no point when he calls what he's done over there "like a computer game." What he mentions is the controls in the Apache are well suited to younger generations who are familiar with similar sorts of things. The actual quote being bandied about is not shown in any of the videos so we don't even know the full context of it.

I don't know what it's like anymore but extended combat causes stress and gradual deterioration in a lot of things, the mind just isn't suited for it days and days on end. This has been known scientifically since WWII and anecdotally since basically forever. In the American armed forces, pilots are often regularly pushed vastly beyond the breaking point and are running on a large amount of stimulants and sometimes flying for essentially days on end. I'm not exactly sure these people should be held to any particular high standard for making blasé remarks.