Mid 80s to late 90s: the Golden Age of Animated Series?

Started by Syt, August 24, 2012, 02:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I watched the 90s version with them all as kids - A Pup Named Scooby-Doo? A couple of writers from that show went on to Tiny Toons and Animaniacs. It was a rather surreal self-parody. I mean, they had a recurring character called Red Herring, FFS.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

Quote from: Syt on August 26, 2012, 02:35:37 PM
I watched the 90s version with them all as kids - A Pup Named Scooby-Doo? A couple of writers from that show went on to Tiny Toons and Animaniacs. It was a rather surreal self-parody. I mean, they had a recurring character called Red Herring, FFS.

Of course the baddie in scooby doo was named after a logical fallacy. The writers deliberately wrote their show in part to promote scientific thinking and naturalism. There were never any ghosts or anything else supernatural in scooby doo, only con men trying to use the fear of ghosts to scare off gullible people. It's educational tv ffs.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on August 26, 2012, 03:55:56 PM
Of course the baddie in scooby doo was named after a logical fallacy. The writers deliberately wrote their show in part to promote scientific thinking and naturalism. There were never any ghosts or anything else supernatural in scooby doo, only con men trying to use the fear of ghosts to scare off gullible people. It's educational tv ffs.

Spoilers!  :mad:

The Larch

I read an article on Scooby Doo for its latest anniversary, and they said that the baddie in every single case was always the second guy to be introduced in the episode. Talk about predictability.  :lol:

dps

Quote from: The Larch on August 26, 2012, 04:40:14 PM
I read an article on Scooby Doo for its latest anniversary, and they said that the baddie in every single case was always the second guy to be introduced in the episode. Talk about predictability.  :lol:

Well, if that's what it said, the article is wrong.

Syt

Quote from: Viking on August 26, 2012, 03:55:56 PMOf course the baddie in scooby doo was named after a logical fallacy. The writers deliberately wrote their show in part to promote scientific thinking and naturalism. There were never any ghosts or anything else supernatural in scooby doo, only con men trying to use the fear of ghosts to scare off gullible people. It's educational tv ffs.

Uhm, Red Herring was never, ever the culprit, though. He never appeared in an episode. Only at the end, before the resolution, it would be Freddie guessing that it was all done by Red Herring.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on August 26, 2012, 09:47:06 PM
Uhm, Red Herring was never, ever the culprit, though. He never appeared in an episode. Only at the end, before the resolution, it would be Freddie guessing that it was all done by Red Herring.

I don't think that's right.

Google and my very fuzzy recollection says it was this guy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 26, 2012, 10:30:02 PM
Quote from: Syt on August 26, 2012, 09:47:06 PM

I don't think that's right.

Google and my very fuzzy recollection says it was this guy.

Yes, he did. Sorry, my body needs more coffee. I meant to say he never showed up during an episode except at the end.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Queequeg

Quotedestroyed by fucking hipsters
I can think of about 10 anime movies that are even close to acceptable for hipsters, but beyond that it's actually pretty close to the antithesis of the entire cultural group.   :huh:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on August 26, 2012, 11:09:20 AM
I grew up with Captain Future, a 70s anime version of Edmond Hamilton's 1930s pulp sci-fi stories. One of the first animated series in shown in Germany to feature multi-episode story arcs (most stories were 3-4 episodes), and also featuring people dying. Also, it had a pretty sweet 1970s sci-fi utopia design.

Capitaine Flam, as it was called in France was one of the most popular cartoons back then. Japanese cartoons (can't call them anime if it's pre middle '90s") were extremely popular and still are, among the around 30 crowd.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 26, 2012, 02:30:20 PM
2 preppies, a stoner, a man hating lesbian and talking dog. And if anybody mentions Scrappy Doo, I'll punch them in the nuts.
You should watch the new one.  The characters are under oath to never mention Scrappy again.

I think Flim Flam is doing 5 life sentences for fraud or smoething.  That's about as far as I'll go in saying anything gooda bout the new one.
PDH!

Josquius

Scrappy Doo is integral to the show for me since I grew up in the 90s. When I saw repeats of the original show from the 70s I was rather confused by his absence.
I was never too big on Scooby Doo as a kid.

Anime and popularity...yes. I liked it before it was popular and the way so many kids these days do...it makes me sad, jealous and slightly snobby. No way is it a hipster thing though.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on August 27, 2012, 10:35:43 AM
Scrappy Doo is integral to the show for me since I grew up in the 90s. When I saw repeats of the original show from the 70s I was rather confused by his absence.

I grew up in the 90s and would say the opposite to each of those sentences. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on August 27, 2012, 10:35:43 AM

Get out.  Now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall