Mid 80s to late 90s: the Golden Age of Animated Series?

Started by Syt, August 24, 2012, 02:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on August 24, 2012, 06:52:54 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 24, 2012, 06:37:36 AM
The pinnacle of US animation was 1948 to 1963.  You douche.
I'd date it back to earlier 1940s - Fred Quimby era Tom and Jerry.

You'd be wrong.   :bowler: :hug:

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 24, 2012, 06:37:36 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 24, 2012, 02:07:02 AM
Transformers, X-Men, Batman, Animaniacs, Gargoyles, early Simpsons, the Tick and countless others . . .

I ask you: were those 15 years the pinnacle of cartoon making in the U.S.?

That's what's fucked up with your generation and its tiny little minds.  Can't think past the memory of your own shit-soiled diapers.

The pinnacle of US animation was 1948 to 1963.  You douche.

I should have specified: TV cartoon serials. The old Disney, Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry and Tex Avery cartoons are unsurpassed.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

I enjoyed watching Tiny Toons and Animaniacs with my nephew. And Darkwing Duck. Along with all the Daffy. Woody Woodpecker, Tom and Jerry and Droopy that they would show.

Good wholesome shenanigans.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

I love anime, its just that I got tired of the perpetual young angry man that seems to lead all japanesse animation.
I never thought much of american animation.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on August 24, 2012, 07:07:05 AM
I should have specified: TV cartoon serials. The old Disney, Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry and Tex Avery cartoons are unsurpassed.

You have redeemed yourself.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 24, 2012, 08:12:34 AM
I enjoyed watching Tiny Toons and Animaniacs with my nephew.

Animaniacs were a hell of a lot funnier than people gave them credit for.  The Goodfeathers were sublime.

Loved Cow & Chicken, and Eek the Cat were little gems.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 24, 2012, 08:18:56 AM

Animaniacs were a hell of a lot funnier than people gave them credit for.  The Goodfeathers were sublime.

Loved Cow & Chicken, and Eek the Cat were little gems.

Dexter's Lab could be a hoot too (Muffin King episode) or Foster's Home for imaginary friends (The one with Bloo throwing a party with all the drug references).

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

The show had some surprisingly high brow references at times. Not to mention some naughty humour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXc119xbDic
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Quote from: Syt on August 24, 2012, 08:39:02 AM

The show had some surprisingly high brow references at times. Not to mention some naughty humour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXc119xbDic

Any cartoon with double entendre's like that fit into Disney's aspiration pretty well.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Brazen

I did very much enjoy the 1990a Batman series, but not its more recent incarnations. Mark Hamill is an excellent voice artiste.

Grey Fox

You guys heard of ReBoot? Was it broadcasted in the US?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 24, 2012, 02:26:22 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 24, 2012, 02:15:27 AM
Eddie: Not necessarily. Our Saturday morning cartoons also finished a shitload of 70s series, and most of them were just crap.

Sure, but some old cartoons like Merry Melodies or The Flintstones were better than the vast majority of 80s/90s stuff. Bugs Bunny holds up well even into adulthood.

Generally speaking, pre-1970 stuff is better than 1970s animation.  So it's not so much that there was a goldent age after sometime after 1980 as that the 70s were a dark age.  Or dork age.