Mid 80s to late 90s: the Golden Age of Animated Series?

Started by Syt, August 24, 2012, 02:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 24, 2012, 03:40:34 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2012, 03:37:20 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 24, 2012, 03:21:48 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 24, 2012, 12:42:54 PM
You know, I looked at some of the old 1990's Batman cartoons and thought they really held up.  I used to like a show called "Tale Spin" that Disney made.  I thought it was pretty cool.

I hated Tale Spin. And Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers.  :mad:

Darkwing Duck! :)

That one was cool.  :)

:yes:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Quote from: Razgovory on August 24, 2012, 03:55:50 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 24, 2012, 03:45:35 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on August 24, 2012, 12:22:55 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 24, 2012, 11:03:22 AM
You guys heard of ReBoot? Was it broadcasted in the US?

Oh god ReBoot. :bleeding:
best season wrap up ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFKHBygDZMY

So what is this?  Tetris blocks become characters.
day in the life of your computer... If you computer was made up of sentient program parts and viruses were evil and anti-virus programs were heroes. Also, every time you win a computer game you doom innocents to an existence of being electric leeches.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Anyone who thinks that Transformers is the height of animation needs to be shot.

Seriously, the golden age of animation is right now.  They're not my childhood memories so I don't treasure them as much, but there is simply so much animation being made, and able to be made so cheaply due to computers, that you can't compare.

In the 80s I had to wait for Saturday morning.  Now, not only are cartoons on primetime network TV, but there are whole cable channels dedicated to them.  They run the entire age, from toddler-centred, to children, to adults.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Much like video games, better tech does not necessarily make a better quality product. However, there is a lot of good stuff being made, and the sheer volume means that there will be a significant amount of it out there that's good.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

FunkMonk

Quote from: Barrister on August 24, 2012, 04:25:20 PM
Anyone who thinks that Transformers is the height of animation needs to be shot.

Seriously, the golden age of animation is right now.  They're not my childhood memories so I don't treasure them as much, but there is simply so much animation being made, and able to be made so cheaply due to computers, that you can't compare.

In the 80s I had to wait for Saturday morning.  Now, not only are cartoons on primetime network TV, but there are whole cable channels dedicated to them.  They run the entire age, from toddler-centred, to children, to adults.

To follow up on this, the best cartoons since the mid 90s are at the cinema. Just look at Pixar.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 24, 2012, 03:21:48 PM
I hated Tale Spin. And Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers.  :mad:

My sister always wanted to watch those.  :yucky:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Some of my favorites from the period...

- Gummy Bears: it could often be quite a bit deeper than it seemed, especially the backstory.

- Exo-Squad:  Actually had characters die, and a good, continuous plot-arc.

- Cadillacs & Dinosaurs: Very short-lived. but quite good.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 24, 2012, 08:15:55 PM
- Cadillacs & Dinosaurs: Very short-lived. but quite good.

Hell, I remember that RPG from the 1980s.  Never knew they ported it into a cartoon.

Ideologue

Anyone who thinks that Transformers: The Movie is the height of animation needs to be given a nice blowjob, with a lot of hand action.

:)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 24, 2012, 05:04:06 PM

To follow up on this, the best cartoons since the mid 90s are at the cinema. Just look at Pixar.

You know what sucked?  WALL-E.  Besides the fact it was a total ripoff of Kurtzman and Woods's "Blobs*," it was a celebration of fascism.

It was funny, I guess.  And anti-fat.  So that was good.  But everything else was fucked up.

And why the hell do robots have gender?  Is WALL-E going to slip EVE a hot steel injection?  Bullshit.

*Itself a reworking of Forster's "The Machine Stops," albeit done with a lot of new imagination; whereas WALL-E shamelessly plagiarized the visual aesthetic of "Blobs."  You can read it here apparently: http://potrzebie.blogspot.com/2007/09/blobs.html  It's neat. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on August 25, 2012, 12:01:57 AM

You know what sucked?  WALL-E.  Besides the fact it was a total ripoff of Kurtzman and Woods's "Blobs*," it was a celebration of fascism.

:huh: Elaborate
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 25, 2012, 12:13:23 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 25, 2012, 12:01:57 AM

:huh: Elaborate

I'M THE CAPTAIN I HAVE DEICIDED FOR THE PEOPLE THAT WE SHALL RETURN TO EARTH FORTHWITH HAHA I AM MAD WITH POWER
Kinemalogue

dps

Sheer quantity doesn't really make it a Golden Age.