Mid 80s to late 90s: the Golden Age of Animated Series?

Started by Syt, August 24, 2012, 02:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Transformers, X-Men, Batman, Animaniacs, Gargoyles, early Simpsons, the Tick and countless others . . .

I ask you: were those 15 years the pinnacle of cartoon making in the U.S.?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Nah, you were just young enough to appreciate cartoons back then.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Syt

Eddie: Not necessarily. Our Saturday morning cartoons also finished a shitload of 70s series, and most of them were just crap.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Ideologue

No.  The pinnacle is The Venture Bros.  That started in the 21st century.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on August 24, 2012, 02:07:02 AM
Transformers, X-Men, Batman, Animaniacs, Gargoyles, early Simpsons, the Tick and countless others . . .

I ask you: were those 15 years the pinnacle of cartoon making in the U.S.?
I haven't seen enough cartoons from the 2000s to judge whether the cartoons of the present day are inferior. Certainly, the cartoons of the late 80s and 90s were much better than what had come before.

Those from the 2000s I have seen were good though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 24, 2012, 02:19:04 AM
I haven't seen enough cartoons from the 2000s to judge whether the cartoons of the present day are inferior.

Same, and when I do watch cartoons they're ones meant for adults, like Futurama, Family Guy or Archer.

Liep

Of those you mention only the Simpsons would be enjoyable to watch today. Also, Archer.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Viking

I'd say the golden age is today simply on the grounds that that old shit just insults my intelligence but today you have animation that is not only meant for adults but you have the stuff that meet Walt Disney's dream standard of being so good that people will use their kids as excuses to watch.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on August 24, 2012, 02:15:27 AM
Eddie: Not necessarily. Our Saturday morning cartoons also finished a shitload of 70s series, and most of them were just crap.

Sure, but some old cartoons like Merry Melodies or The Flintstones were better than the vast majority of 80s/90s stuff. Bugs Bunny holds up well even into adulthood.

Ideologue

Untrue, Liep.  Batman and Animainiacs were both quality programs.  Transformers was also good; although crummy in many respects, it was fun and it spawned the finest animated film of all time.  I remember liking X-Men quite a bit as well.  I've heard good things about Gargoyles, but I never watched it.

I'll also throw in Tiny Toons.  Awesome.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on August 24, 2012, 02:24:39 AM
but you have the stuff that meet Walt Disney's dream standard of being so good that people will use their kids as excuses to watch.

I can see that for Pixar/Dreamworks stuff, but tv series? Which ones do you have in mind?

Liep

Quote from: Ideologue on August 24, 2012, 02:27:09 AM
Untrue, Liep.  Batman and Animainiacs were both quality programs.  Transformers was also good; although crummy in many respects, it was fun and it spawned the finest animated film of all time.  I remember liking X-Men quite a bit as well.  I've heard good things about Gargoyles, but I never watched it.

I'll also throw in Tiny Toons.  Awesome.

I enjoyed watching Batman and Transformers too, but I meant that today I wouldn't. So judging today's cartoon is difficult as we won't be able to value those made for kids.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk