Skeletal Remains Of An Entire Army Found In An Ancient Mass Grave In Denmark

Started by jimmy olsen, August 23, 2012, 04:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: HVC on August 23, 2012, 12:00:27 PM
164 stanzas written 300 years after the death of a religion is not equivallent to a religious text liek the dead sea scrolls. Raz's comparisson was off. it's more like catching a 30 minute clip of the passion of the christ... if passion was written by someone who only had passing knowledge of the subject matter he was writing about :P

isn't that what Mel Gibson is?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HVC

Quote from: Viking on August 23, 2012, 12:05:00 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 23, 2012, 12:00:27 PM
164 stanzas written 300 years after the death of a religion is not equivallent to a religious text liek the dead sea scrolls. Raz's comparisson was off. it's more like catching a 30 minute clip of the passion of the christ... if passion was written by someone who only had passing knowledge of the subject matter he was writing about :P

isn't that what Mel Gibson is?
he had source material to plagerize from :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Maximus

Quote from: Viking on August 23, 2012, 11:58:00 AM
The thing is that at some point we have to insist that words have meaning. We don't have to choose between a world where there is a form of "Asatru" which we only see shadows of and a world where words only have the meaning we choose to give them at any moment. Languages are tools for communication amongst people who agree on the meanings of words. I can't arbitrarily declare myself female or blonde and expect to be treated as such.

It is belief in the gods and belief in the doctrine of the gods. Tradition is clear, these neo-pagans are making their own shit up and putting old norse names on them.
Which is why I asked you to define what an actual Asatru was. Since it means followers of the gods and modern Asatru follow gods that seems perfectly reasonable.

merithyn

Quote from: Viking on August 23, 2012, 11:58:00 AM
It is belief in the gods and belief in the doctrine of the gods. Tradition is clear, these neo-pagans are making their own shit up and putting old norse names on them.

I don't know. There's a part of that, too, I'm sure. It pretty much has to be because there's no way to really know all of what was done/said/worshipped. But your own website says:

QuoteHávamál (English  /ˈhaʊvəmaʊl/ HOW-və-mowl; English: Sayings of the high one) is presented as a single poem in the Poetic Edda, a collection of Old Norse poems from the Viking age. The poem, itself a combination of different poems, is largely gnomic, presenting advice for living, proper conduct and wisdom.

The verses are attributed to Odin, much like the biblical Book of Wisdom is attributed to Solomon. The implicit attribution to Odin facilitated the accretion of various mythological material also dealing with Odin.[1]

For the most part composed in the metre Ljóðaháttr, a metre associated with wisdom verse, Hávamál is both practical and metaphysical in content. Following the gnomic "Hávamál proper" follows the Rúnatal, an account of how Odin won the runes, and the Ljóðatal, a list of magic chants or spells.[2]

Based on this, a translation of the Havamal seems like the doctrine to follow. And the gods are well established. So by your definition, the neo-pagans seem like true Asatru.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 23, 2012, 12:58:22 PM
Are they trying to get into Valhalla?

Bravely dying in battle with their weapon in the hands in battle with their enemy is the pre-requisite. If you die any other way you go to "Hel" (not hell) which is cold and boring. Valhalla is warm and fun. It's fratboy heaven.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

merithyn

No clue. I don't know that much about them. I just find it interesting that Viking finds them so distasteful because they're not "real" to him, but by his own definition they are.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

I know nothing about them but I'm happy to assume they're all retard posers.

Viking

Quote from: merithyn on August 23, 2012, 01:01:04 PM

No clue. I don't know that much about them. I just find it interesting that Viking finds them so distasteful because they're not "real" to him, but by his own definition they are.

I don't find them distasteful, I just know from experience that they are hippy posers. It's a religion invented by people who want their own kind paganism.

Maximus

As opposed to all the real religions that weren't invented at all.

Viking

Quote from: Maximus on August 23, 2012, 01:09:48 PM

touché

They were all invented, only with neo-paganism, scientology and mormonism we actually know who, how, where and when they were invented.

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on August 23, 2012, 01:09:48 PM

All of them are invented except for mine. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maximus

Quote from: Viking on August 23, 2012, 01:15:39 PM
They were all invented, only with neo-paganism, scientology and mormonism we actually know who, how, where and when they were invented.
I don't see how knowing the inventor makes the invention less useful.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on August 23, 2012, 01:16:52 PM

I think the basis of the criticism is insincerity, not disutility.

Viking

Quote from: Maximus on August 23, 2012, 01:16:52 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 23, 2012, 01:15:39 PM

We can track down Joseph Smith's convictions and Hubbards pre-Dianetics writings as well as the friends and relatives of the ditzy hippies that invented asatru. We had people test out the prophets and found them frauds.