Skeletal Remains Of An Entire Army Found In An Ancient Mass Grave In Denmark

Started by jimmy olsen, August 23, 2012, 04:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 23, 2012, 09:13:12 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 23, 2012, 09:11:20 AM
Also, Timmay, pray tell what you find so "fucking cool" about human sacrifice on a large scale?
The archaeological discovery is what's cool. You can't seriously believe I think massacres are cool.

QuoteYup. People were hard core back then.

So people are soft now?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on August 23, 2012, 09:11:42 AM
Here is something I don't understand.  Why would ancient warriors ever surrender, if it was a certainty that they would be slaughtered/executed/sacrificed?

Cowardice and the hope of pardon. Killing prisoners is timeconsuming.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HVC

Also, Timmay, pray tell what you find so "fucking cool" about human sacrifice on a large scale?
I think massacres are cool.
you monster!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on August 23, 2012, 09:11:42 AM
Here is something I don't understand.  Why would ancient warriors ever surrender, if it was a certainty that they would be slaughtered/executed/sacrificed?

My thinking is simple exhaustion, hunger and thirst played parts.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on August 23, 2012, 09:14:00 AM
The archaeological discovery is what's cool. You can't seriously believe I think massacres are cool.

QuoteYup. People were hard core back then.

So people are soft now?
In comparison, yes. It's not a bad thing.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

You seem pretty excited by the prospect of it.
PDH!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Viking on August 23, 2012, 08:36:32 AM
The teuotobergerwald has been found and is hundreds of kilometers from that place.

Exactly - the attempt to link this find to Tacitus' account of that battle doesn't make a ton of sense.  Apples and oranges.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Maximus

Razgovory

Yesterday you were big on wars of conquest.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Maximus on August 23, 2012, 10:50:38 AM
Quote from: Viking on August 23, 2012, 08:40:11 AM
I actually know some of these people so, no meri, no.
What defines an actual Asatru?

Etymology

Æsir the pantheon of gods
trú the icelandic word for faith

the word actually just means belief in the gods.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Maximus

So if someone calls themselves Asatru they are actual Asatru? Good, we are in agreement then.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Maximus on August 23, 2012, 11:12:29 AM
So if someone calls themselves Asatru they are actual Asatru? Good, we are in agreement then.
Depends. Are there official guidelines? 
PDH!

Maximus

I don't know of any such group that claims to have divinely inspired scripture if that's what you mean.

Viking

Quote from: Maximus on August 23, 2012, 11:12:29 AM

Yes, and mormons call themselves christian. The thing is you can call yourself whatever you want. I'm rich, popular and handsome, plus my penis is over two foot long. I just choose my own meanings of the words rich, popular, handsome and foot.